GTG Canada 1910 Large Cent

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Obone, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have another coin that I have to grade, and I was considering getting it graded by PCGS. Any input
    would be highly appreciated.
    Thanks
    20170726_191445.jpg 20170726_191422.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with the series, but I would guess XF-45 with a chance of AU-50? I can't really see much of any luster in these images.

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It's a nice slider. I'd say AU55 by American standards.

Edit to add: it's only a $30 coin in MS60, so it's not really worth the expense of sending to PCGS ... unless you just want to.

Paddy54 likes this.
  5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

+1 and with the few green spots on the coin it may even get bagged

6. lordmarcovan

I don't think it would "bodybag" for PVC contamination - I don't even see any green spots, really, on this monitor.

Looks fine to me. Nice coin. Just not really a slab candidate, due to its relatively modest value and the high price of TPG grading.

7. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Based upon the vertical beads in the crown, the jewels at the top of the robe and the leaves, I'd say AU-50, but there is some environmental damage with the dark spots/green. The vertical beads in the crown might have some damage as well, in addition to minor wear. It's not worth being cert'd, as the cost of the cert will be more than the coin would ever be worth.

8. lordmarcovan

Wow, I apparently need to get my eyes or my monitor checked. I see some very faint dark spots (totally within acceptable range if I were seeing the same in hand), and no green at all?

The obverse seems to have a little bit of "woodgrain" toning goin' on, too.

'Tis a moot point, though. With or without spots, my earlier assessment that the coin isn't worth the submission costs still stands.

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Canadian copper does not age like US copper, frequently darkening and losing luster while still Mint State (which I don't think this coin is). ICCS actually calls out "Lustrous" on their Brown copper flips, and those are coins you want to give a good hard look. It's limiting me in my search for Large Cents; too few retain luster past RB.

10. jtlee321

Interesting information. Thanks Dave, I've alway's enjoyed the looks of the Canadian Large Cents, I just know very little about them.

11. SuperDave

They're what I'm concentrating on at the moment.

Not-so-lustrous Brown:

1911LargeCentObvPosting.JPG

1911LargeCentRevPosting.JPG

Lustrous Brown :) :

1915Obvrawsml.JPG

1915Revrawsml.JPG

IMG_3175raw1sml.JPG

IMG_3174raw1sml.JPG

First set for color, second set for luster.

A combination of factors (I'm guessing) have caused Canadian LC's not to age well. Corrosion is common, as is very dark coloration and luster loss. Reds and RB's tend to be similar to US issues, although scarcer as a percentage since the Canadians did a lot better job of producing to need than we did so fewer were preserved.

I haven't bought every_single_coin I've found in an ICCS Lustrous Brown flip, but I've bought a bunch of them. :)

12. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

Dave:
    Thank you very much for your input, if I can, I have these coins in my collection: 20170726_195128.jpg 20170726_195138.jpg

20170726_195009.jpg 20170726_195024.jpg

The coins actually look so much better in hand, with much luster, I just cannot seem to get a good photo if it in the slab. P.S, they are both graded MS-65 by PCGS.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  13. SuperDave

Those are some terrific examples. :)

PCGS seems to be the grader of preference for Canada LC's among those who collect them. From what I've seen in their slabs, they seem to grade the series pretty tightly. Rather moreso than NGC. As for me, I'm always looking out for ICCS flips in RB and BN, especially the "Lustrous Brown" ones. This is part personal preference - not much into Reds - and part the belief that one can find undergraded examples in those flips. I have a couple which I believe will get a two-grade bump from PCGS when I finally send them in.

As for grading, listen to @Bill in Burl before me. He's forgotten more about these than most of us will ever know, and he ain't forgotten very much. :)

14. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

Yes,
    I live in Toronto, very close to ICCS. They seem to grade a lot more tightly, once I sent some rare items, such as the 1906 sml crown, and one I resubmitted they all got bumped up 1-2 grades. Now I just need to send this gem for regrade::happy: 20170726_195918.jpg 20170726_195947.jpg

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  15. jtlee321

Man, you just had to give me something else to watch for on my radar. Those are just absolutely gorgeous!! Curse You!!! :p:smuggrin:

16. jtlee321

I see what you mean about the lustrous and not so lustrous brown. I think the US Large Cents are like that as well. I've seen a number of glossy looking MS BN US Large and Small Cents. But I think I prefer the look of the lustrous brown personally.

17. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

BTW, the Canadian Large Cents are "bronze", not copper .. they are still 94-95% copper, but not pure like old US cents. They will age much differently and the alloy is harder .. and tough on many of the dies.

18. SuperDave

Post-1864 Indian Head and Lincoln Wheat Cents are essentially the same composition as Canadian LC's - 95% copper, 5% tin/zinc. Only the Large Cents and Half Cents were pure. I suspect, pre-Ottawa Mint, that the journey of struck coins across the Atlantic from Great Britain had much to do with their later deterioration.

19. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Wow! I've lived up here north of the border too long ... I forgot that the old wheaties and Indian heads (that I started collecting in the very early 1950's) were not pure copper. The Brit cents and half cents were pure copper and the striking of Canadian Cents in 1858/59 with the London presses put a hurt on the presses and dies(especially the Reverse dies with their intricate leaf designs). Yes, I think that the salt water voyage from England to Canada on the old steamers took a toll on the coins shipped across.

20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Thanks for the good read, I have a few Conder tokens, that seem to have a lot of luster, Just Not booming luster, I have always wondered about this.
    Thanks again.

Draft saved Draft deleted