GTG & Black Spotting Issue - 1928 D Standing Liberty Quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MIGuy, Jan 26, 2023.

1. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

Time for our sometimes favorite game, "Guess the Grade!" on this 1928-D Standing Liberty Quarter - currently in a PCGS slab but I'm also curious as to any thoughts on the cause of and possible removal / conservation regarding the black speckling. Is this PVC damage? I've seen it on other coins (and own some). I love the coin, I don't love the spotting but I can live with it if need be. I bought the $99 membership deal with NGC that has $150 credit so I possibly could send it in for conservation and crossover there if it might be worthwhile. Just curious as to your informed insights on the issue. (seller's pics)
    1928dslq1.jpg 1928dslq2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Dunno if that's PVC or not. I hope not. I'm inclined to think it's just natural scuz.

What's the current PCGS grade? [Edit- oh, sorry- I overlooked the "GTG" aspect and went straight to the pics. Never mind.] Is conservation and reslabbing at NGC, with all the expenses thereby incurred, going to be worth it to you?

Me, I'd sell the coin and move on. Buy another with more eye appeal. But then again, if you're not into it for too much money, and the conservation/resubmission makes financial sense, then why not? Could be worth a shot. Turn a pig back into a princess, maybe.

(Not that it's a full-on pig. Sure, it has slightly negative eye appeal, but I've seen worse mottled toning than that.)

KSorbo and MIGuy like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Could there be an MS63-64 coin hiding under the scuz? Dunno. Hard for me to say.

Anthony Mazza and MIGuy like this.
  5. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Looks like moisture got to it. Possibly a bad seal, PVC, even the enclosure around the coin looks like it's been deep sea diving, excuse the pun. Looking at the rest of the coin it could be mid MS or was. Thanks for sharing good luck.

6. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

These were my thoughts as well. A lot of coins have black “flakes” of toning. I would expect a bad dip to look different than that.

MIGuy likes this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

Unc details environmental damage is my guess.

I'm not sure if this is something that can be conserved or is worth the fees.

MIGuy likes this.
  8. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Is that other black stuff that not on the coin inside the holder??

9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I am inclined to agree about the moisture. It is common for black speckling to form on a silver coin, it is not common for it to form on the plastic insert that holds the coin. My guess is that the coin was graded MS63 and was mostly white when it was graded.

MIGuy likes this.
  10. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

MS63

MIGuy likes this.
  11. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

I want to call it a MS63 to MS64 but I'd have to see what the luster is at the high points. It might have a full head too... Could you please add a picture with a different lighting angle?

lordmarcovan and MIGuy like this.
  12. MIGuy

These are seller's pics (the coin is in the mail) and it appears it was taken on a mottled black and white background, which detracts further from the appearance in my opinion. I may be wrong, the case itself may have the same spotting and then I would agree with those guessing there was some water / humidity exposure after encapsulation and the slab was compromised. I will post photos in hand as soon as I have it.

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It has the looks of a dip gone bad.

MIGuy likes this.
  14. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I’m seeing a speckled granite countertop under the clear slab insert. The slab looks fine to me.

lordmarcovan and MIGuy like this.
  15. MIGuy

Interesting, I don't really know much about how that looks I guess - I thought overdipping typically led to a washed out dull look. Is it typical for a bad dip to result in dark spotting? I wonder why that would be?

16. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I'll guess MS63. It doesn't look like PVC damage to me. I will speculate that the coin was heavily tarnished, dipped, and what we see is the thicker tarnish remnant. My experience with dip residue (from being improperly rinsed/neutralized) is a patchy yellow-brownish coloration mostly around the rims and devices.

ldhair and MIGuy like this.
  17. MIGuy

PCGS graded it MS64. I'd say that appears right in hand, though I have a hard time making the fine distinctions between close MS grades. Collecting is a learning process, that's part of the fun. My photography skills are still subpar, but here are some photos in hand and thank you all for your comments & guesses!
    1928dcropped.JPG 1928d1cropped.JPG 1928d2.JPG 1928d3.JPG

numist, AdamL, KSorbo and 1 other person like this.
  18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Definitely looks like an old dip that didn't fully remove the heavy toning.
    Nice coin Miguy.

MIGuy likes this.
  19. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I was guessing 63. And could actually be nice if proper conservation went well. Still has good luster

MIGuy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted