GTG Another Jefferson 1940

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morgandude11, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Just bought this coin, so using seller’s photo, as the coin is in the mail— no better photos available yet. Reverse is toned, light golden.

A4A7E829-EA2E-4FE8-9317-9A29A3BC8E2C.jpeg 776F06A1-7ADF-44A1-A9EE-4C957AA174CC.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Hmm this one is tough... I'll shoot with a PR66.

4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

5. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

7. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

It’s really impossible to grade proofs from photos, but judging just from the haziness of the fields I’m going PR65.

9. Morgandude11

I think the reveal will be somewhat surprising.

10. Morgandude11

I would say that this coin seems significantly undergraded. I bought it from David Lawrence, and they rated it at 5 star eye appeal. I generally agree with their evaluations—shall see when it arrives, and I have it in hand. I would guess 1-2 grades undergraded. 096FFD55-FEE1-466B-81F6-942F60789420.jpeg

11. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Given the haziness in the fields and the spotting on the obverse devices, I think the grade is correct. The TPGs don’t like spots on proofs and are very reluctant the call a coin with spots gem proof.

12. Morgandude11

I called them about that. They said it is a dirty holder, and if I did not like the coin, I could have my money back, including shipping costs. They thought it was an undergraded proof—they thought 65 or 65+. We shall see, when it arrives.

Draft saved Draft deleted