gtg-anacs 1956 franklin half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by heavycam.monstervam, Jan 30, 2015.

1. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

I made my guess yesterday looking at the pics on my phone. Today after being able to see the images blown up on my desktop I will say 65. From what I can see there are 5 significant hits on the obverse but some are masked pretty well by the toning. If the toning wasn't so dark and didn't cover the whole surface of the coin I think this probably would have been graded as a 64.
    As far as the bell lines, that is still too tough to call. They look like they might be full, but I can't see to the left of the crack on the lower set well enough to really be able to tell. So due to not being able to see enough, and I can't remember seeing too many Franklins in these old white ANACS holders with the FBL designation and the fact that FBLs aren't common on 58 P's I will say ANACS said no to FBL.

So final answer = MS65

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I assembled an award winning set of Franklins on the NGC Registry. I know my Franklins. That has the classic blue-ish mottled hue of mint set toning (the 1957 and 1958 coins very frequently have this look). Yours is rather dark (judging from your pictures). I don't think anyone would claim it is AU, the coin clearly looks UNC. And, a very large number of 1958 Franklins have weak bell lines.

4. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

You have no idea what you are talking about. The toning is very clearly reminiscent of toning that appears from original mint sets of the period. And the coin might very well look attractive and the toning might not be dark in hand, but your images make it look otherwise. I agree with the others that it is not attractive, based on the images.

5. Coinchemistry 2012

I didn't know that you won an award for it... Congratulations!

coinman1234 likes this.
  6. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I had a title typo in my last thread, instead of "or" I write "of"

Very very nice coin, MS-64 IMO, I'm now not sure about FBL.

7. Coinchemistry 2012

It is hard to see the surfaces very well with the toning and your imaging techniques, but I will guess MS65. Nothing in the lower half of the uncirculated spectrum would surprise me.

8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yup. It was quite a few years ago now (2008 I think?), but I won "Best Presented Set"

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's from a mint set. The hits in the right field on the obverse, make me think it a 63.

coinman1234 likes this.
  10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I'm not sure why you are getting defensive about the responses in this thread. The coin is not AU. Nobody has called it AU, and I doubt very much if anyone is going to show up and call the coin AU. Every grade guessed has been between MS62-MS65 and I would be very surprised if the ANACS grade is not also in that range. A few people have remarked that they find the coin unattractive. That is a completely subjective matter and the evaluation of the attractiveness of the coin will vary greatly from person to person. Some like deeply toned coins like yours, others like blast white, and some prefer lighter more pastel toning. You can't get upset just because someone doesn't like the appearance of your coin, it will drive you crazy if you do.

It seems to me that you are new to the forum and having a difficult time figuring out who knows their stuff and who is full of crap. That is pretty typical when you join a new forum, but I promise you that every single member who responded in this thread is a very experienced coin collector and we have all seen many, many Franklin Half Dollars over the years. You mentioned that it is not mint set toning when it absolutely is mint set toning. And you basically stated that all Franklin Half Dollars have reed marks. In my experience, gem grade Franklins do not exhibit reed marks or any other major marks. Here are a few mint set gem toned Franklin Half Dollars that I have owned over the years.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first exhibits an obverse toning pattern and color (though darker) that is similar to yours. The second coin is a monster toner, but both exhibit typical mint set toning. We have other Franklins to compare your coin to. Jason (Physics) primary registry set was Franklin Half Dollars.

Nobody is here to give you a hard time. We are all here to learn from each other and share our experiences. We are not here to bash you or your coins. That said, our opinions will be based on experience and we are not simply going to tell you what you want to hear. Perhaps you would trust us a little more if we used our names and gave you a little background info.

My name is Paul, I'm 42 years old and have been collecting coins for about 20 years. The series I have collected are: Rainbow toned Morgan Dollars, Peace Dollars, Classic Commemoratives, Franklin Halves, Circulated Barber Halves, Barber Quarters, Standing Liberty Quarters, Washington Quarters, Mercury Dimes, Roosevelt Dimes, and of course, Jefferson Nickels.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  11. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

64 in a top tier holder... 65 in an old ANACS holder. The toning is just kinda "bleh".

12. Coinchemistry 2012

This is the only thing in the entire thread that you have said that I disagree with. NGC has graded three in MS68 condition (2 FBL, 1 non-FBL). At least one of those I have seen is absolutely awful and was bumped from a PCGS and older NGC MS67 holders respectively with horrendous toning. It is a monster for sure, but not in a good way. I wouldn't pay MS66 price for it. I haven't seen the other two, but assuming that the coins aren't mechanical errors on labels, NGC says they exist.

Edited: Here is a NGC MS68* FBL (Ex. Tomaska). It is generously graded to say the least and looks horribly. It makes me wonder whether the graders were high that day.

[​IMG]

It looks like Rick sold this piece of crap for $85,000 http://www.randicoins.com/store/pc/SOLD-1948-P-FRANKLIN-NGC-MS-68-STAR-FBL-p1147.htm .

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  13. Coinchemistry 2012

For whatever it is worth OP, I like your coin better than the one I posted above...

14. Lehigh96

Lol, yeah, I was using a little hyperbole there. My point was the chance that anyone here owns an MS68 Franklin Half is non-existent.

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  15. bsowa1029

I wouldn't say gem grade Franklins don't exhibit reed marks, as you obviously know several other things are taken into account when a coin is graded.
    Take for example this 53 S graded MS66 by NGC and CAC certified.
    1953 S 50C NGC MS 66 CAC Obv.jpg 1953 S 50C NGC MS 66 CAC Rev.jpg

It has a clearly visible reed mark below the Liberty bell. Due to the angle of the lighting when I took this picture the mark appears far more prominent than it is in hand. Other than that hit the surfaces are smooth and nearly flawless and the luster is absolutely shimmering and dances all over the coin when rotated.
    I will say that in most cases gem grades shouldn't have reed marks or any other obvious hits, but in certain cases, to me, they are ok.

Those two Franklins are both beautiful, by the way. Absolute stunners.

16. bsowa1029

All those breaks in the toning are SO distracting.
    Although the vibrancy of the color is stunning, it is a shame about all the breaks.

17. Lehigh96

My guess is that the color vibrancy has had some saturation enhancement in the photo.

18. bsowa1029

It must. That thing looks like it's covered in cartoonish toxic waste.

Kasia and Coinchemistry 2012 like this.
  19. bsowa1029

Are we ever going to get the grade ANACS assigned??

20. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Yepperoo. I think Judge Doom got ahold of that one.

[​IMG]

bsowa1029 likes this.
  21. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Drum roll please,.............
    Sorry just got home...
    Stand by 4 grade

Draft saved Draft deleted