GTG: 48 Franklin half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by johnmatt, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Full Bell Lines are not like Full Steps or Full Bands, they are allowed to have marks that interrupt the lines as long as the continuity of the lines are not disturbed. The area in the white, then continuity is certainly intact, whereas the area circled in red is more problematic. That said, I've seen plenty of Franklins with these types of marks still get FBL from PCGS. I have typed their grading standard below taken from THE PCGS OFFICIAL GUIDE TO COIN GRADING AND COUNTERFEIT DETECTION.

"When the bottom set of lines across the Liberty Bell is complete and uninterrupted, a regular strike Mint State 60 or above Franklin half dollar receives the designation of Full Bell Lines (FBL). If these lines are obscured my marks, strike, planchet defects, or other sources, the coin will not receive the FBL designation. A few marks across the lines will not prevent a coin from receiving this designaiton, as long as the continuity of the lines is not disturbed. Multiple marks, scratches, scrapes, or other detractions that interfere with the continuity of the lines will prevent a specimen from receiving the FBL designation. Slight incompleteness of the bell lines, immediately to the left or right of the crack that traverses the bell, will not prevent a coin from receiving the FBL designaiton."

eddiespin, Razz and CommemHalfScrub like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Thanks, I have a bunch of Franklin half dollars to re-evaluate the bell lines then!

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I think it's gorgeous, and I'm a guy who's not all that much into Franklins (and when I do buy them, I prefer proofs to business strikes).

That obverse toning is gorgeous: nice pastel colors without being mottled or streaky.

Yep. Though not a Frankie collector, I really like this one.

johnmatt likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

PCGS and NGC have different standards for determining the FBL designation.

Razz likes this.
  6. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Yep NGC both set of lines are looked at and PCGS just the bottom set.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  7. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

I'm saying ms63 no FBL designation. Nice tone, but too much bag wear in my opinion.

8. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

MS64+ I want it, and it wants to be a FBL but it has that mark.

Draft saved Draft deleted