GTG 37S Buffalo

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Pickin and Grinin, Nov 27, 2020.

?

What is the grade on the slab

  1. MS63

    7.7%
  2. MS64

    11.5%
  3. MS65

    46.2%
  4. MS66

    34.6%
  5. RPM

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pickin and Grinin

    Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

    Last GTG for a while unless I find one on the cheep, I have a transmission to replace in my truck. Not exactly a cheap fix.
    This Buffalo was though. It is an rpm, the deep scuff on the reverse really impairs the MM, so I included another photo shot at an angle for those that might want to try.
    upload_2020-11-27_17-51-5.png
    upload_2020-11-27_17-52-29.png
    upload_2020-11-27_17-52-55.png
     
    ddddd likes this.
  2. Avatar

    Guest User Guest



    to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

    potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

    I'm going with 65 buffalo's are so hard to grade im always to high or to low.
     
    Pickin and Grinin and mac266 like this.
  4. SensibleSal66

    SensibleSal66 Well-Known Member

  5. ddoomm1

    ddoomm1 keep on running

  6. jtlee321

    jtlee321 Well-Known Member

    I went with 65 with this one. Really nice luster with a great strike. I can see it in a 66 holder, but most likely they graded it a 65. It really seems that when it comes to the later date Buffalo's that are common in higher MS grades, they seem to throw a dart at a board for a 65 or 66. I can visualize the dartboard with 70% of the wedges with MS-65 and the other 30% are labeled MS-66. Unfortunately this one hit a 65 wedge.
     
    Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. ddddd

    ddddd Member

    MS 65 ....looks nice and I echo the thoughts of @jtlee321
     
    Mainebill and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  8. ldhair

    ldhair Clean Supporter

  9. LRC-Tom

    LRC-Tom Been around the block...

    I can see a 66, from those pictures. Great luster, few marks, and a great strike on the reverse (Obverse average in that regard, but hey...). Nice coin. I couldn't see enough of the MM to determine RPM or not.
     
    Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  10. Beefer518

    Beefer518 Well-Known Member

    I'll wager it hit the small wedge... 66
     
    jtlee321 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  11. Pickin and Grinin

    Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

    Yeah that scuff or scratch, whatever you want to call it. Is really in a bad spot, almost enough to crack it out. And make sure it is the RPM, I think it is.
     
    jtlee321 likes this.
  12. Morgandude11

    Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

    65. It could be in a 66 holder, but I think a few hits too many for more than 65. Great looking coin.
     
    Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  13. spirityoda

    spirityoda Coin Junky Supporter

  14. thomas mozzillo

    thomas mozzillo Supporter! Supporter

    MS 66. Could you please post a clear closeup of the mintmark. From the posted photo I can't tell if it's an RPM or not.
     
    Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  15. Pickin and Grinin

    Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

    That is the best I can get, even in hand the scratch get's in the way.
     
  16. potty dollar 1878

    potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

    You already said it was a rpm in the first post.
     
  17. Beefer518

    Beefer518 Well-Known Member

    Get some of this, and it'll clean that right up. I use it on all my slabs:

    MEG-G-12310_xl.jpg
     
  18. chascat

    chascat Well-Known Member

    66, almost went with 65.
     
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  19. Pickin and Grinin

    Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

    Yeah this one is pretty bad. I tried that and it got a lot of it just not enough.
     
    jtlee321 likes this.
  20. physics-fan3.14

    physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

    I'm at 65. I think I'd want a bit more luster for a 66. Nice coin, though.

    That plastic sure has seen better days!
     
    jtlee321 likes this.
  21. Mountain Man

    Mountain Man Well-Known Member

    I would say MS66 but it is a common date that can be found in a better strike, so the TPG seem to be harder on those than the harder to find dates. As for the rpm? I haven't a clue from those photos, but would take the TPG word for it, if they listed it on the slab.
     
    Pickin and Grinin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page