GTG 2: Switzerland 1973 1 Rappen

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by stldanceartist, Jan 27, 2022.

?

What's the Grade?

1. MS63

2. MS64

3. MS65

4. MS66

5. MS67

6. * (STAR)

7. + (PLUS)

8. BN

9. RB

10. RD

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Just received my "Jekyll & Hyde" submission back from NGC yesterday - figured I would do some GTG for fun. As it's copper, you can choose a grade and a color designator. Feel free to add any thoughts you have below.

GTG 1 (1971 1 Rappen)

For additional fun, as well as a good laugh, I'll post NGC's "Cert Verification" photos. They're terrible.

Second up:
    Switzerland 1973 1 Rappen

This coin was pulled from an original mint set purchased at a flea market with a few other dates (including a couple other 1R I'll share later that were also part of this submission.)

Medium focal length shot

Switzerland - 1973 1 Rappen M.jpg

Long focal length shot

Switzerland - 1973 1 Rappen F.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

66 RB
    …I like coin #1 a tad better; this one is still very nice. The spots might have kept it out of a 67

4. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Slightly spotty and a big bag mark on the reverse.
    MS64 RB

6. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Okay folks! Time for the grand reveal:​

Switzerland - 1973 1 Rappen NGC MS67RD Slab - Obverse.jpg
    I'm just going to quote NGC's Population Reports at this time (for simplicity) - at the time of posting, this coin is Top Pop (none finer in RD, one other at the same grade.)

As promised, here are NGC's Cert Verification photos - I'm sure there's a coin in there somewhere, but how anyone could tell what it looks like is anyone's guess. It's a little better than the 1975, probably because this coin is actually properly seated in the slab (the 1975 is tilted.)

Low effort and not acceptable quality, IMHO - again, significantly underlit.

Also, it appears that their camera has either some dead pixels or debris on the mirror/lens, because each of the Swiss Rappens has a dark spot on the slab in the same place.

Switzerland - 1973 1 Rappen NGC MS67RD NGC Cert.png

Thanks to everyone who stopped by and ventured a guess!

ddddd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted