GTG 1981-D Jefferson Nickel NGC

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Mar 20, 2020.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade

1. MS60-62

2. MS63

3. MS64

4. MS65

5. MS66

6. Other (Please Explain in Comments)

7. Not Full Steps

8. 5 Full Steps

9. + Designation

10. * Designation

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please guess the grade of the 1981-D Jefferson Nickel shown below. I have attached a poll for you to cast your vote and you may select up to 4 different things: the numerical grade, Full Steps, + grade, and * designation.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As always, comments welcome!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Can you get pics on those steps any closer?

4. Lehigh96

Nope, that is the limit of my camera's capability, but it should be good enough, it is easily 10X magnification.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  5. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

MS-64...those are some nasty marks at 8 o'clock on the reverse

6. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

I voted MS64 not full steps. I wouldn't be surprised if the grade were higher though. Nice coin.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

8. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

MS 64 FS No *, No+

9. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

10. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

66FS was my initial feel of the coin. Not sure if the marks on the reverse around 7 o’clock are flaws in the plancet.

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

MS 64....a few significant marks hold back an otherwise clean coin
    ...I forgot to vote on the steps, but would say not full steps

12. Lehigh96

C’mon NGC, this is absolute freaking dreck!

[​IMG]

This is high end 64 or low end 65 but no way is this full steps. I’m seriously considering sending this in for appearance review.

TypeCoin971793 and Paul M. like this.
  13. Lehigh96

How did you get this? And do you agree with the grade?

14. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I agree with you, @Lehigh96. I think it maxes out at 64 FS. No clue how you get 66 FS with those huge reverse gashes. Such a shame though, because, except for those marks, it looks great. I bet they'll call it a mechanical error.

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

I agree. Both the grade and steps designation is suspect.

Did you send it in yourself or buy it already graded?

As for sending it in for appearance review, is there any point? It seems like it would cost you more time and effort (unless NGC covered shipping and did it for free). And if NGC leaves it as-is or calls it a mechanical error, then you will end up spending more than the coin probably cost.

16. Lehigh96

C’mon man, give me some credit. I would never have even submitted this coin for grading. I got it with bad photos for a good price (or so I thought). Typically, when I buy an overgraded coin, I simply turn around and sell it on E-bay in an attempt to get my money back. But this coin is so bad, it might actually hurt my reputation as a seller.

As for time, effort, and price, I don’t think it will cost me anything. I will be piggybacking it with other coins in an upcoming submission. It will only take a few minutes to complete paperwork and packaging, the additional cost of shipping will be negligible, and as far as I know, the don’t charge for appearance review.

I don’t see how they can claim this is a mechanical error and the coin isn’t valuable enough for them to worry about the loss. I actually think I have a pretty good shot of getting this coin out of this MS66 5FS holder.

I paid well below both price guide for the coin and the grade is egregious so I think it’s worth a shot, and a complaint if they deny the grade guarantee.

17. ddddd

ddddd Member

That’s fair. And if you send it with other items, that certainly does minimize the costs associated (and appearance review is free). I did realize you didn’t submit after I found it on eBay (I was researching prices).

Hopefully NGC does the right thing and a bad grade is taken off the market.

Lehigh96 likes this.
  18. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I agree with you.

Lehigh96 likes this.
  19. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Wow I got it right... or wrong. I didn’t spend much time evaluating it. Pretty much glanced at it and threw out my first gut feeling of it. Decent strike, good eye appeal, and likely blazing luster. The steps seem somewhat disturbed under columns 1 & 3 but not enough to not attribute it. I have seen much worse coins get into FS slabs. I think giving this one a look over in hand for 3 seconds is what lead to the over grade. I think it should still have the FS but do believe it’s a 65 given the contact marks regardless if they are flaws in the planchet.

20. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

66 with those huge gashes? That's borderline details, damaged!

21. Lehigh96

Lol, I'm not going that far, but it certainly is dreck.

Draft saved Draft deleted