GTG 1976 Jefferson Nickel (NGC)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Sep 19, 2022.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade

1. AU58

2. MS60-63

3. MS64

4. MS65

5. MS66

6. MS67

7. Other (Please Explain in Comments)

8. 5FS

9. NOT FS

10. + Grade

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please guess the grade of the 1976 Jefferson Nickel shown below. I have attached a poll for you to cast your vote and you may select up to 3 different things: the numerical grade, 5FS or NOT FS, and + grade.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As always, comments welcome, and please remember to vote in the poll.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

MS 65 no FS...May be too many hits on steps.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

5. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

dittos.

6. ddddd

ddddd Member

MS 66 not FS....luster and obverse carry it to a 66 grade but there are just enough ticks on the steps (including some that break the steps under the 2nd column) that prevent the FS (although NGC might have let it squeak by).

cladking likes this.
  7. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

MS65 not fs

8. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

11. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Agree with above at MS65 no FS.

12. Lehigh96

13. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I don't know, but those steps look like they got in a knife fight and lost. If those are not interrupted then I am not sure what set of steps would not qualify as FS anymore...:)

chascat likes this.
  14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

15. Lehigh96

This coin is absolutely puzzling in hand. At the traditional angle that I typically examine the steps for completeness, NONE of those marks appear. When the coin is tilted away from the light at more direct angle, they suddenly appear. All of the marks are extremely shallow and look much worse in the photos than they do in hand. The appearance is so different, that I was confused when I loaded up the photograph, I thought I had mixed it up with another coin. So I picked up the coin to double check, and once I rotated the coin under the light under a glass, I finally saw the marks. That said, I thought the coin was clean enough to submit anyway, despite the fact that I might lose the FS battle. I reached a little on this coin because my 1976 slot was empty.

Razz and chascat like this.
  16. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

17. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I can definitely see where you are coming from. Grading and judging marks especially, is tough from high resolution in focus photos as we are looking at much higher magnification than the graders are and marks tend to be enhanced, if that makes sense.

18. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

19. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

MS66. Close but a miss on FS.

20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

This should be a paragraph in the new Jeff book. Those coins drive me nuts. Another reason for missed and the Full Step argument. The Jefferson Nickel has been the most challenging coin I have tried to grade.

chascat likes this.
  21. Lehigh96

I had submitted this coin in the hope that it would get and MS66 grade, with the chance that they wouldn't rotate the coin and by some miracle it would get 5FS. Alas, my prayers seemed to be answered when I saw the 5FS designation, but simultaneously I was crushed by a below gem grade. I'm sorry, but there is no way this coin is an MS64.

[​IMG]

NGC pretty much skunked my entire submission with the exception of the 45-S and 47-S, but this will be the last post in which I whine about this disastrous submission. I will be moving forward and focusing on my next submission which will be sent next week.

ddddd and Sunflower_Coins like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted