GTG 1963D Franklin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Pickin and Grinin, Jan 2, 2022.

?

What is the grade on the slab.

1. MS62

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. MS63

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. MS64

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. MS65

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  5. MS66

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. +

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Details UNC

10 vote(s)
    43.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Too many hits, rim hits, wear on his head might get a AU53 detail. If any higher then 55 then you are lucky. over all it must look a lot nicer i hand.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

A bit suspicious but I like it. MS-64

4. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Nooo! No dip. From my experience best to leave it alone. Removing toning at this stage will leave the coin dull and lifeless. JMO. If you do please post progress/end result. All the best.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I have never dipped one, watched a dealer friend do it a few times.

However, I did stay at a Holiday inn last night, so what could go wrong. LOL

SensibleSal66 and Dynoking like this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

It was in a MS details slab for the toning. I cracked it from the slab.

7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Having an overdipped coin is no worse than having an AT coin, and I have seen people successfully dip coins with this level of toning and still leave luster intact. It is definitely worth a shot IMO.

8. Tamaracian

Tamaracian 12+ Yr Member--Supporter

@Pickin and Grinin Don't dip it! IMO the toning variations are not so out of sorts that it stands out as AT (you did get 17 that would give it a grade, after all) and if you did offer it for sale in that PCGS slab you would get people to bid/buy it (just look at Great Toning LLC on eBay sometime and see how his sales for QC coins turned out). Also, the toning makes it easier to discern the D over D RPM.

9. Pickin and Grinin

Well as far as cracking the slab it has already been done. It happened before I started the GTG. I still haven't dipped the coin and may do it in the future, but it is something that I am researching as to the right procedure. I am a little leary of how it will come out. The luster which may not show much in the photos is plenty nice to possibly get a 65 grade, I don't want to ruin that. We'll see in the future what happens.
    I don't want to practice on this coin.

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I don’t think I’d dip it either. Experienced or not at dipping. People like toned coins.

11. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

But they don't like AT/QT coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted