GTG - 1963-D Franklin Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by brokrken, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

That is a generous FBL designation by NGC, but I agree with the numerical grade as I was at MS63+ in my initial guess.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I see an AU-58 that ends up in an MS-62 holder. The MS-64 grade is ridiculous, but it’s not surprising. When I was a dealer, I saw the worst, must inconsistent grading for Franklin half dollars.

Peter Economakis likes this.
  4. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

IMO Franklins are consistently overgraded by both major TPGs. I realize they are "market grading", but come on! FWIW, before seeing the grade I would have graded it a NGC MS64 no fbl.

Peter Economakis likes this.
  5. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

This coin isn't one from my proof set as its still in the plastic.
    I bought a bunch labeled as BU's and if the pic's of one of these BU's I post is in poor forum taste by posting in the OP's thread then please any Mod delete it..
    johnmilton and Skyman got me thinking with their last posts and Franklin 1/2's confusion with grading.
    Other than the OP coins bell having a little clearer writing on the top of the bell compared to mine I really don't see a difference.
    Till I get my so called better pic scope these are the best I can do.
    The bell rings on mine maby a bit less crisp and the writing on the bell is more pronounced than it shows.
    Would mine be graded maby a 55 to 60?
    Also this seller has some "Mint State" BU coins for $3 more than what my BU ones cost at $11.
    I'm guessing the Mint state means they are the top notch polished dies from the mint that were put aside or the seller just worded it that way.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Appears over graded to me, but I'm not known as any type of expert on grades. LOL

Lembeck13 likes this.
  7. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

8. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Prior to the view I was at 62 glad I was wrong good luck and be safe

9. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

wow, would of graded it as a ms-60 if were mine and raw, but i guess i am a bit more conservative

10. Lembeck13

Lembeck13 Active Member

Really? MS-64 FBL? Really?!! That's one inexplicable grading stumble for NGC; one giant reason for taking my TPG business elsewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted