GTG 1962 Franklin Half Dollar (PCGS)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Aug 7, 2020.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade (PCGS)

1. MS60-62

2. MS63

3. MS64

4. MS65

5. MS66

6. MS67

7. Other (Please Explain in Comments)

8. FBL (Full Bell Lines by PCGS Standards)

9. Not FBL

10. + Designation

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please GTG of this 1962 Franklin Half Dollar shown below. I have attached a poll for you to cast your vote and you may select up to 3 different things: the numerical grade, Full Bell Lines, & + grade.

[​IMG]

Please remember to vote in the attached poll, and as always, comments welcome!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Really hard to read that coin with that toning! Any other pictures you can show us?

Based on those pics - MS-64 and not FBL.

But that doesn't seem like the sort of thing you'd buy....

4. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

65 FBL. Nice toning.

5. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

I really can't tell - I'm with physics-fan. Some coins need more pictures;)
    Definitely no FBL, a few hits that could keep it from gem, and a certainly imaginary heart scratched into the obverse behind Franklin's head that would make it a graffiti coin, which odds are it isn't... so MS 64+.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The toning makes it very difficult to see the coin and then it's in a photo.

MS-64 not FBL

yakpoo and GenX Enthusiast like this.
  7. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

I cannot make out the bell lines enough to interpret them. I like it as a nice crusty 65+.

8. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Highly toned coins can hide contact marks so I usually look at the rim for an indication (assuming randomness). There are a few more dings on the Reverse than the Obverse, but pretty clean overall. I might say MS65, but went with MS64 (no FBL). The muddy toning is neither attractive nor unattractive (imo).

9. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I am with others. One, 50's and 60's coin seem to tone funny, with things looking like scratch marks simply being weird toning "lines". I cannot tell much from pics given the toning. These are about the worst for me personally to grade from pics, and silver from the 50's and 60's that is toned.

10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

11. Lehigh96

It isn't my coin, it is my brother's, @Springford CC. He pulled it from a mint set and submitted it because he liked the toning and 1962 FHD's are rare to find with any appreciable toning.

12. physics-fan3.14

Must have been an aftermarket put together set, because the mint started shipping the sets in inert plastic after 1959. You are correct that 60's Franklins are hard to find with toning, because of this fact.

And, I don't want to revisit the toning thread.... but I find that toning quite unattractive personally.

13. medoraman

Good to know about 60;s and toning on Franklins TBH. I have rolls of them from the early 60's toned. Maybe someday I will dig them out. Seems like most BU rolls of quarters and halves I bought from maybe 1961 on had brightly toned coins in them. I think it was because the silver was fresh when the rolls were put aside. Same thing with BU coins from folders, most 60's silver coins were toned. I just popped them out and put into tubes.

I would have guessed that early 60's were the most common of all toned coins if I had to guess based upon my experience.

14. physics-fan3.14

Close - the late 50's are the most common toned coins. This is because the mint sets of the time were made of cardboard, which created the toning. After the mint switched to plastic, most of the toned coins came from paper rolls or after-market sets (such as cardboard albums, or those cutout holders you see with a date set of coins, for example).

15. medoraman

I will believe you on the market as I have no idea, I just know from personal experience a LOT fo collections were started in the mid 60's it seems, and all 1960-61 coins to 64 were BU and pretty toned in the folders. Most of the 50's I own from these folders were AU, so not as toned.

Just my point of view not dealing with mint sets, just folders. I own 50 times as many toned 60's coins than 50's personally, (all in junk silver rolls, but still).

16. Lehigh96

Nope, I saw it in the plastic govt issued set. Maybe @Springford CC will post his photo of it in the plastic. Regarding the toning, he liked it much more than I did, but I will say the toning looks better in hand than it does in the photos.

17. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

IMO, the toning looks great.

65 NoFBL from me.

Springford CC likes this.
  18. Springford CC

Springford CC Member

upload_2020-8-7_21-38-44.png

Attached Files:

19. Springford CC

Springford CC Member

upload_2020-8-7_21-40-21.png

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2020
  20. Springford CC

Springford CC Member

These are the photos from the eBay listing.

21. ddddd

ddddd Member

MS 65 and not FBL (I believe I see a break)
    ....outside possibility of UNC Details Environmental Damage

Draft saved Draft deleted