GTG 1958-D Franklin Half Dollar PCGS

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Mar 17, 2020.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade

1. AU58

2. MS63

3. MS64

4. MS65

5. MS66

6. MS67

7. Other (Please Explain in Comments)

8. FBL (Full Bell Lines)

9. No FBL

10. + Designation

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please guess the grade of the 1958-D Franklin Half Dollar shown below. I have attached a poll for you to cast your vote and you may select up to 3 different things: the numerical grade, Full Bell Lines, and the "+" grade

[​IMG]

As always, comments welcome.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

4. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I went MS-65, no FBL but it's difficult to tell with that toning. It looks like 2 small areas where the bell lines are broken.

6. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Ms- 65 FBL nice coin that the toning is natural to negative in my eye.
    Never was a fan of the cracked varnish look.

longshot likes this.
  8. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

I'm around the same on the grade, and have a similar view on the toning. I have a couple of orange toned 1958 Ds from a beautiful mint set that look quite similar to this, and the silver looks a bit, no, very grey and dull under that type of toning. I even asked myself the question if the coins were not circulated and then retoned. Quite beautiful to the eye, while the camera seems no to love them;)

I find this coin very similar to the OP's and even wonder if his are not from the same source?

DSC04301.jpg
    DSC04304.jpg
    DSC04305.jpg

Edit: i've mentioned this coin before, as it has a huge scratch on the bell, thank God only on one of the 4 in the set.

Paddy54 likes this.
  9. ddddd

ddddd Member

I’m guessing 66 FBL on the holder.

Looks like mint set toning but not particularly attractive. I don’t see any major hits, so that is why I think the grade was still pretty high.

Paddy54 likes this.
  10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

20200315_094702.jpg
    Now here's one of mine, a 57 and nice coin and some stranger than truth toning. The reverse looks the same...as obv. But I do believe that tone held it back. I keep it like the ulgy duckling...of the collection.

GenX Enthusiast likes this.
  11. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

The toning makes it hard to judge either luster or marks. Anyhow, I threw caution out the door and guessed 66 FB. Nice coin!

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

66 FBL Nice coin.

13. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

14. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Well, you guys pretty much nailed this one. Personally, I like this more as an MS65 FBL, but only because the 58-D is known to generate so many examples with better luster and eye appeal than this coin.

[​IMG]

Furham nailed this one right out the gate, great job.

15. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I agree with your thoughts on this one. This is definitely mint set toning - but the majority of the mint set toned examples have this look.

Draft saved Draft deleted