GtG- 1952 S Franklin Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by heavycam.monstervam, Feb 18, 2018.

1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I rarely even look at Franklins when im at a show. This specimen has a nice combo of luster and toning.
    What is the PCGS grade? 20180218_172735.jpg 20180218_172853.jpg 20180218_173219.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. heavycam.monstervam

I picked up this one today also, has a nice toned rim and i got it for melt basically. Has a bit of light blue scattered also but it isnt showing up in the pix. I see why witten likes these so much now:troll: 20180218_172428.jpg 20180218_172522.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  4. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

Franklin is ms63

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  5. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

Probably graded 64 though

6. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

62. Probably not FBL, but can't be 100% sure from the pic.

7. amorris

amorris Member

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Based on the image. 62 and no FBL.

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

MS 64

..not FBL due to the nicks/interruptions on the bell lines...plus this date (along with the 53-S) is one of the hardest to find with FBL....nice coin!

10. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

11. heavycam.monstervam

You were closer the 1st time lol, i guess thats why they say to always roll with yer 1st guess

ddddd likes this.
  12. heavycam.monstervam

13. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

14. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

This is a nice looking Franklin. I can see it getting a 65 from PCGS, but no FBL. This is one of those dates where it has to be ALL THE WAY THERE or go home.

I know it has some marks, but they are not really in the main focal areas and I think the coin got a market bump of 1 grade for the toning. Technically I'd call it a 64. :)

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  15. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I'm at 64 No FBL, but could see it going to 65. I see bag marks and chatter, but no wear, even on the 3 strands. The thing that I see as weird is the chatter/marks near Ben's mouth.

16. heavycam.monstervam

The weird looking area around Bens mouth is actually where they touched up the die from a die clash event. Like what created the Bugs Bunny Variety.

Beefer518 likes this.
  17. heavycam.monstervam

Heres a hint:
    Not a single person got it right.;)

Heres a tip- dont ZOOM IN and look at all the marks, in fact, zoom out and make the coin roughly the same size as a half dollar.
    Notice how all those marks suddenly disappear?

18. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

If all of the marks disappear, it's a 66, but is that just a photo-anomaly?

19. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I am at 63 on this one ,however as jtlee said it would not surprise me that it got a bump.
    Franklin halfs is a series that is hard to grade at times...simple design but unless you find the first strike coins the dies were worked to death.
    Look at the mintages the 52 s 5,525,000 minted.
    Even the lowest mintage just under 2.5 million these coins were stamped out for commerce not to win a beauty contest!
    So the dies were over worked ,as well reworked to get the most out of them.
    Next look at the prices or values of this series....true condition ,strike,and luster always counts but even the lower mintages are easy obtainable in mid Mint State at a reasonable price.
    However higher grades,with full bell lines are moon money!
    52 s in 63 $55--- 52 s in 65 $110-- a 52 s in 65 fbl $1000 yet a ms 66 only $250 and add the fbl to a 66 it jumps to $4000!

I have seen dealers turn down complete sets of MS Franklin halfs as they don't want them in their inventory in lower or mid mint state. And don't want to offer the seller melt for their set.....and some have voiced to me even at melt don't wish to tie up their funds in such a slow turn over.
    I do have a complete set of ms Franklins ,I also only need 3 to complete the proofs. I am happy my set is raw and have no intention of grading them..Or do I intend to fill in the 50,51 & 52 proofs I need to complete the set,unless they come cheap.
    Like Jeffersons, Roosevelt dimes, the Franklin half set are an easy set to complete in mid grade.....but hold little value other then the satisfaction of completing the series,and enjoying your set.

jtlee321 and heavycam.monstervam like this.
  20. heavycam.monstervam

Im not sure why the came out like that. In-hand all i can see is a tiny break in the luster right there

21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

There are enough nicks dings and scratches to say that this one should not be gem. the luster is really nice though.
    62 and probably a +.

Draft saved Draft deleted