GTG 1950-D Jefferson Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Oct 15, 2019.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade?

1. AU58

2. MS64

3. MS64 5FS

4. MS65

5. MS65 5FS

6. MS66

7. MS66 5FS

8. MS67

9. MS67 5FS

10. Other (Please explain in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I agree with your price guide analysis and that it might grade MS66 5FS, but as a collector who has own dozens of coins from this date/mm, I will say it has a great shot at MS66+ 5FS and legitimate shot at MS67 5FS.

The question then becomes, will I be satisfied with a low end MS67 5FS example as my registry coin or will it suffer the same fate as my last low end MS67 5FS example? The luster and eye appeal are much better on this coin and the final price tag would be a mere $60 as opposed to the $1K that I paid for the last one and took a huge loss at sale time.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I certainly can't argue with that price difference ;)

4. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

PCGS guide is $93 for 66FS. I think
    I guess it is irrelevant since its NGC.

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Yeah, the only way I lose is if the coin grades MS65 or doesn’t get the 5FS designation. If it grades MS66 5FS, I break even. If it grades MS67 5FS, it’s a huge windfall, enough to make me whole after the last coin.

6. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

Yikes! I completely forgot to weigh in on this thread.

It's good to see a progress update since you discussed your 1950-D quest last year in another thread (post #137). I hope you get that whale - but maybe it's more entertaining to watch the quest!

(I too, paid a premium for a toned example and it is far and away more expensive than any of the rest in my set. It's an PCGS MS66+ for comparison purposes.)

Lehigh96 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted