GTG 1949 Franklin Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dima, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think PCGS doesn’t like the muted luster on the obverse

Penny Luster likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

No way in the world should that get a FBL designation.

Penny Luster likes this.
  4. Dima

Dima Member

Here's a PCGS video discussing Strike; linked starting at 6:14 where they discuss FBL and view a few examples which are and aren't FBL:

This is pulled from their Grading Standards page:

https://www.pcgs.com/grades#gradeFBL

@furham, I don't disagree with you... kinda seems what they say in the video doesn't quite match what I see in this TrueView:

upload_2020-9-24_20-35-33.png

upload_2020-9-24_20-38-17.png

I was curious and pulled out two additional PCGS FBLs I have; those two have crystal clear lines with literally zero interruptions. Unfortunately, those two do not have TrueView and I'm terrible taking photos through the plastic.

Penny Luster likes this.
  5. Penny Luster

Penny Luster Well-Known Member

To quote the PCGS video.. there should be "no marks of consequence" interrupting the lower bell lines for FBL. I see consequential and significant marks there. It is a really beautiful Franklin and I love it but the grader must have been having a really good day when it was graded. In my humble opinion.

Dima likes this.
  6. Penny Luster

NO way in the world is right.

7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Where do you see “marks of consequence” on the lower bell lines? The two largest are those highlighted by yellow circles by @Dima in a previous post, and I certainly wouldn’t call those disqualifying.

Furthermore, PCGS’ written standard is that there can be no marks that “interrupt the continuity of the bell lines,” which means just like on Jefferson Nickels, you can have shallow marks that traverse the lines or even deep marks on the raised area as long as they don’t extend into the lines.

Dima likes this.
  8. Penny Luster

It looks to me like the two shallow marks traverse the lines. However, I can accept that experts find them consequential. I concede to expertise and I stand corrected.

Draft saved Draft deleted