GTG: 1947-S Washington Quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Sep 14, 2018.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I believe she is referring to flow lines. The images have great detail.

jtlee321 and Cheech9712 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Ok. I'll behave

jtlee321 likes this.
  4. Cheech9712

Thanks. I agree. Guess flow lines are confusing me. I tried. But the pictures are outstanding.

jtlee321 likes this.
  5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

That's a 66. Nice coin.

jtlee321 likes this.
  6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I'm at 66

jtlee321 likes this.
  7. Cheech9712

Thanks. Someone said flow lines. Guess thats what im seeing. Are these flow lines as pronounced on much better coins. Lets face it. The pics are great. Sorry. But holy moley

jtlee321 likes this.
  8. Cheech9712

Wow you seem to know what your talking about. I just hope my memory stays as good as your explanation. Good job. I conceed

jtlee321 likes this.
  9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

He wrote the book.........:)

jtlee321 likes this.
  10. green18

A man after my own heart. An old friend used to refer to the stuff as 'grading juice'. :)

11. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

So everyone sees this coin the way I do. To me it's a lock 66. I really like the light rim toning and the obverse is certainly the strongest side of this coin. ANACS saw this one a bit differently. Too bad the upgrade is not financially worth cracking and resubmitting. I'll just have to live with a beautiful coin in an under graded classic slab. Oh wait, I seem to have quite a few of those in my collection already. LOL

1947-S-Washington-Quarter-ANACS-MS-64-Slab-Front.jpg 1947-S-Washington-Quarter-ANACS-MS-64-Slab-Back.jpg

12. jtlee321

I compared my coin to the one in the link above. The Mint Mark position on my coin is too far to the east for it to be a match. It does have some similarities though. One difference that I see is the position of the marks inside the upper serif of the primary S.

13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Great coin, but you're right. They don't jump in value till 66+

jtlee321 likes this.
  14. green18

Two clicks off for this old sod, but it's an old holder, and I'm an old guy, so the two things cancel each other out...........Great thread and learning experience though..........

jtlee321 likes this.
  15. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Anacs holders are garbage:bucktooth:
    Thats why CAC and NGC wont sticker or cross over these pieces of crap. Nothing to see here people move along:singing:;)

jtlee321 likes this.
  16. jtlee321

If you want to see some flow lines, check this one out... Click on it to see the 100% view.

Look around Washington's neck between IGWT and his Adam's Apple.
    [​IMG]

Look between the eagle's neck and wing.
    [​IMG]

17. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Well everyone loves a surprise twist ending! Didn't see that one coming ;)

To be fair, the coin was probably also white when it went into the holder. Those holders are known for producing the rim toning such as seen here.

Weeeeee! Let's zoom in all the way!

(Sorry Cheech, I wasn't trying to be mean, I was just trying to understand what you were seeing)

So, for people who don't understand what we're talking about with the flow lines:

When a coin is struck, the metal actual "flows" up into the crevices of the die. The pressure of the strike makes the metal move to create the design. The die is made of very hard steel, but over time that moving metal begins to wear on the die. It moves the exact same way each and every time. This moving metal creates flowlines, which are in turn what reflect the light as luster. However, on a very old die, such as the ones used to strike these 2 coins, that moving metal has started to etch into the die.

The obverse of the second coin, the 1943, is actually perfect for seeing the difference between die polish and flow lines. Look in the field in front of George's face. You should see lines in two different directions - one set of lines that goes radially out from the center to the rim. These are the flowlines (normally, the flow moves outward unless it is redirected by the devices. You can see that around his neck, and around the eagle's head.) The second set of lines you can see in the left obverse field are almost perpendicular to the flowlines, and reach diagonally upward across the field. These are die polish lines (and, oh my gosh, they are curved!). You can see some more short die polish lines on the bridge of his nose, and some long, curved lines on his cheek. These are all die polish lines.

If we look at the reverse now, we can see a third type of line which is useful to point out. Take a look at the eagle's left wing. See that long, meandering, jaggedy line that travels up the entire side of the wing? And above the eagle's head, see that line that goes from his head, through M, under S, and connects to the wing? Those are both die cracks. When the die gets old, or has undergone the stress of striking many, many coins, the die tends to crack. These are not scratches - these are actually the die starting to fall apart. Usually, these are more common on later die state coins, such as this one.

All of these three types of lines are mint made. They will not affect the grade directly. Based on the characteristics of these lines, they may change the luster (more flowlines such as these will produce a coarser type of luster, which some may or may not appreciate). So, as much as the luster affects the grade, these flow lines or die polish may affect the grade. But, they are mint-made and considered to be a perfectly natural part of the coin.

Well, my cup of tea is gone. I hope that helped someone understand the various lines and squiggles that we're seeing on these coins, and understand their significance (or at least, where they come from.) Until next time!

jtlee321, ddoomm1 and CircCam like this.
  18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Well said.

jtlee321 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted