GTG:1945s general george washington

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by heavycam.monstervam, Feb 28, 2015.

1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Its that time again folks, im your host Anacs Quebec,coming to you live from a secret location! Put your goggles and seeing eyes on! Lets play!! Up on the block for your expert analysis is this 1945s toner quoner encapsulated by PCGS.. 3,2,1 Guess CAM01530.jpg CAM01529.jpg CAM01520.jpg CAM01514.jpg CAM01516.jpg CAM01523.jpg CAM01524.jpg

ace71499 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

AU-58..........

ANACS Quebec......... rofl.gif (methinks I've chuckled about this before)

4. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Toners on pictures under plastic are tough - I've got one I'm gonna post tomorrow so I'll say 60!

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

MS65, the coin is pretty clean but PCGS requires excellent luster for the premium gem grades with respect to most series. The muted luster from the reverse toning will limit the grade to MS65 though the surfaces have the look of a premium gem.

phankins11 and medjoy like this.
  6. heavycam.monstervam

And the winner is....

7. heavycam.monstervam

The fake trophy and bragging rights goes to:

8. heavycam.monstervam

Lehigh96.. Good Eye!!........Ironically.......... I traded that ms67 mercury dime for $25 and this coin.. Heres why: i took it to an antique show here in town (5-6 coin guys there) and showed it to a good friend of mine.. After a 30 second observation he turned to me and said the coin in this holder was replaced.. Its been opened and glued back together.. He showed me right where it was glued and it even felt rough on that side.. I noticed it b4 but blew it off... So anyway i guess i am the one eating crow,you were right i admit.. Now i still made a lil $ but not what i expected.. I traded w a guy id never seen b4 probably an out of stater... and i coulda returned it to the auctioneer and got refunded altho i woulda had to wait a few weeks and im not even sure what the procedure for that kinda thing is there. Bottom line i just wanted to wash my hands w the thing!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  9. heavycam.monstervam

10. heavycam.monstervam

Oh and btw this is the 2nd or 3rd instance of bad coins in my coin club auction...there was a 1944d lincoln altered to a `14d that same night.. Fortunately someone caught it and i remember an anacs yellow slab that had a type1 slq quarter graded AU53 that looked like a vf/xf at best that same night as well.. The funny part is, the president of the club is an ex-grader for anacs back when it was located in ohio... Idk what the procedure is for these auctions or if he even looks @ the coins but to have 3 suspect coins this last time around is worrisome to say the least

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

From what I can make out of your earlier pictures, I think he was mistaken. Sonic sealing can and often does cause the plastic to bubble and extrude out the edges. More than one has suggested this seepage is glue, but it is not. And unless those clear areas of the slab are not attached, there is no way to open the slab and keep them clear.

12. heavycam.monstervam

Probably why the old anacs small holders are a good candidate for this such thing... idk if i caused confusion but i.was refering to the 1937s merc from the guess the grade a couple days ago... i didnt show a side view photo of the slab... wish i had captured it.. was really rough looking and felt like sandpaper...and you could tell there was something off about it not to mention the big black spot on the cheek just seemed like another piece of.the puzzle.. no way that coin shoulda been in a 67 holder!

13. heavycam.monstervam

1 more point: the coin teetered a lil bit when you put it vertically on a flat surface i recall (and thought odd)... i went back and looked @ the last photo when i revealed the grade on it and my thumbs in the way but you can sort of see that the right side of the slab isnt clear... all water under the bridge now tho, i offed it and will keep my eyes peeled 4 this n the future

14. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That is the one I was talking about. You did not show the whole slab, but you came close in post #15. Pictures are not proof, but I stand by my post above.

15. heavycam.monstervam

U may be right, and i hope it wasnt switched out honestly... either way im just glad to be rid of it...

16. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Too bad, would have been an interesting bet for sure. My attempt to collect Washington Quarters was very brief. IMO, they are one of the hardest 20th century series to grade and I was never very good at grading them. Furthermore, they are a pain to sell. Everytime I think I am getting a deal on one, it sits in my inventory for months.

17. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I haven't seen any of the images of the supposed switched coin, but I think the odds of the dealer being right are essentially zero. Lots of dealers like to talk big and make assertions at shows and, if all the assertions I have heard at shows actually occurred, this would be a very different hobby-industry. I'm just sayin'...

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Since you are here, what is your opinion?

[​IMG]

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Back the truck up.......you sayin' that the coin in the original picture was meddled with?

20. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

What he said was that 1937-S (as I pictured above) dime was switched according to a dealer.

21. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I don't see anything suspicious in the image.

Draft saved Draft deleted