GTG 1945-D Jefferson Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Mar 11, 2020.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade?

1. MS65

2. MS66

3. MS67

4. MS68

5. Other (Please explain in comments)

6. Not Full Steps

7. 5 Full Steps

8. + Designation

9. * Designation

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please guess the grade of the 1945-D Jefferson Nickel shown below. I have attached a poll for you to cast your vote and you may select up to 4 different things: the numerical grade, Full Steps, + grade, and * designation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As always, comments welcome.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

Beautiful coin. Love the surfaces but I am concerned that the toning looks terminal at the edges. (Unless someone spilled their coffee on it.). Yet, that is still great eye appeal and the luster looks really strong - and iridescent. MS67+

Just sayin’, but this looks like D, not an S. Especially since the mint mark is really, really big.

4. Lehigh96

Yeah, I have no idea why I typed 1943-S. As we can clearly see, the coin is a 1945-D. Maybe one of the moderators can change the title of the thread.

The toning is mostly a chestnut brown color but the toning at the top of the reverse in the lettering is either terminal or so close to it that it should preclude a star designation. The surfaces and luster are amazing though.

5. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

@Lehigh96 You have a limited time to change the thread title yourself. Use the thread tools drop down menu. You might still have time...

6. Lehigh96

Thank you so much, it’s done.

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

I voted MS 67 and 5FS
    It looks quite clean and lustrous but the dark toning has me thinking that it could limit the grade.

Lehigh96 likes this.
  8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I personally wouldn't agree with the grade I voted unless an in hand look at the coin changes my mind. But I think that the Jeff is border 68 due to the luster.
    I gave it a 67*5FS

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    Lehigh96 likes this.
  10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

One of the steps is just darkened from the toning. That coin is every bit a technical MS67 with 5FS.

sambyrd44 and Lehigh96 like this.
  11. Lehigh96

Bump, anybody else wanna chime in before the reveal?

12. Lehigh96

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So this coin was graded prior to the inception of the 5FS designation, but it is quite clearly 5 full steps. And most of you got the assigned grade correct.

I have owned two MS68 war nickels in my life. This coin has better surfaces and luster than both of those coins. The only problem with this coin is the advanced stage of the peripheral toning, specifically on the reverse. So while I could understand why this coin might not get an MS68 grade, it is certainly superior to the run of the mill MS67 war nickel, and deserving of an MS67+ grade.

My plan for this coin is to submit it for designation review which I’m certain will yield an MS67 5FS grade. Once I have it back in an edge view holder and can better evaluate the rims (for toning) I will decide on whether to submit the coin for regrade at a chance for the + designation.

Draft saved Draft deleted