GTG 1944 (not 42) D war nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BlackberryPie, Jan 7, 2021.

1. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

MS-66 FS

eddiespin likes this.
  4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would go 64 5FS. I never paid any attention to Jeffs until @Lehigh96 posts. I bet he will have the best guess.

5. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

He knows what it is. He subbed for me.

6. coinup

coinup Junior Member

I have no idea but that's a good looking WTN! ;)

7. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

66+

The steps don’t look full to me. I wouldn’t be surprised with a 67 grade either.

8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I am the one who submitted the coin so I know the assigned grade, but my original guess prior to submission was MS65*.

9. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

10. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

I was going to guess MS 65 5fs ...62 5fs is a curious graded indeed...population of 1 though :D

12. Lehigh96

I think they net graded it for the scratches below ELLO in Monticello. That area was why my original grade was only MS65, but obviously they bothered the NGC graders much more than they bothered me.

Still, the coin is beautiful and the money is all in the color. I think the coin will sell at MS66-67 prices regardless of the assigned grade.

The bigger mystery than the numerical grade is the absence of the star. It just baffles me. I simply don't know what you have to do to get them to star a Jefferson Nickel.

eddiespin likes this.
  13. ddddd

ddddd Member

The 62 grade is a bigger mystery to me as I expect significant hits or scratches. This looks like a big scratch but not something that would make the coin fall below 63/64. To get a star on a nickel, I figure one needs to either get really lucky or have a full rainbow toner.

14. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

It's interesting to have a pop 1 coin and FS at that. Maybe I'll see if JA will gold sticker it.

15. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I saw the marks on the reverse, hence my 64 guess. I feel 62 is too severe,, but agree with sub 65.

Am I getting a little better at these Paul?

16. Lehigh96

Yes you are, I thought the color would carry it to a gem grade. Guess I was wrong!

That said, this was the only war nickel in the submission (13 others) that graded below MS66. There were 9 MS66s and 4 MS67s

17. Lehigh96

This coin looks totally ridiculous in an MS62 holder! Shame on you NGC!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sunflower_Coins likes this.
  18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

This grading business isn’t hard, PCGS. A 62 is a knife fight. That coin doesn’t look like it was in a knife fight!

19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Draft saved Draft deleted