GTG 1944-D Jefferson Nickel (NGC) #2

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Apr 2, 2021.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade (NGC)

1. AU58

2. MS60-63

3. MS64

4. MS65

5. MS66

6. MS67

7. Other (Please Explain in Comments)

8. 5FS (Five Full Steps)

9. NOT FS (Please explain in Comments)

10. + Grade

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I understood that. I just don't think that this is one of those coins.
    Your best bet of a 67FS is to crack and re submit (imo).

I think that if you regrade the best you will get is a 67.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I do it all the time, they are pretty good at giving 5FS when they miss it the first time or the coin was graded prior to the inception of the 5FS designation.

4. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

My 44-D is graded NGC 67 in an old "fatty"holder. Did they designate FS in those holders? The coin looks like it could be a twin brother to yours, with nearly identical markings around the steps, but the steps appear to be full like yours does. I doubt I will send it in, as I like it just the way it is, and any buyer would like it too, except if they wanted a registry coin with the designation.

5. Lehigh96

The "no line fatty" holders were used from 1989 to 1995. NGC did not start using the 5FS designation until 2003. It is entirely possible that you have a full step nickel that was not attributed as such because of when it was graded. Back then, NGC only used the FS designation and the coin needed 6 full steps to qualify. It is important to note that the holders in question go beyond the no line fatties and extends all the way into the NGC 9 holders.

And even after they adopted the 5FS designation, I think they were very harsh on which coins met that designation. Like the subject of this thread, the coin shown below is a 1944-D that resided in an NGC 17 holder which didn't debut until November 2004, well after the adoption of the 5FS designation in early 2003.

1944-D NGC MS67 1536195-016
    [​IMG]

Photo of steps
    [​IMG]

1944-D NGC MS67 5FS 5931954-002
    [​IMG]

As an aside, NGC used to offer a service called "designation review" that cost $12 per coin. I often used that service to get unattributed full step nickels into full step holders. The added benefit was that the coin kept its original certification #. Since they no longer offer that service, I have to spend the full $22 on the Regrade service and the certification # changes which is a pain for record keeping purposes.

chascat and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  6. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the lesson...I often wondered why it wasn't FS, and now I know. I'll keep on enjoying it until the next owner comes along! It has a very old designation # 292255-013

Lehigh96 likes this.
  7. Lehigh96

And this is what I call a Freeroll WINNER!!!!!!

[​IMG]

BTW, take a bow @RonSanderson , you got this one from jump!

kSigSteve, Lem E, ddddd and 2 others like this.
  8. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

Aw, shucks. :rolleyes:

9. Mannie gray

Mannie gray Member

I came in after the reveal but did not see the grade when I made my guess.
    The coin is a lock 7, has the creamy luster they need at the 67 level.
    Steps are close but there looks to be a slight bridge which may be the issue, so I agree with NGC on this one.
    Nice coin, superb quality.

Draft saved Draft deleted