GTG 1944-D Jefferson Nickel (NGC) #2

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Apr 2, 2021.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade (NGC)

1. AU58

2. MS60-63

3. MS64

4. MS65

5. MS66

6. MS67

7. Other (Please Explain in Comments)

8. 5FS (Five Full Steps)

9. NOT FS (Please explain in Comments)

10. + Grade

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

How funny. So I’ll repeat myself, but this time on the right coin:

Stevearino and Lehigh96 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think if you saw this coin in hand, you would like it as an MS67. IMO, it is very strong coin and I really wasn't expecting that when I bought it.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

As a MS-67 I'd leave as is and forget the steps. Not worth the effort or money to get a FS. It may come back as a 66 FS but that wouldn't be as good as it is now.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  5. Lehigh96

I’m not cracking it out, I’m resubmitting in the current holder for Regrade. It is guaranteed to come back at least MS67. The only downside is that if it comes back just MS67, I will have paid $25 for a reholder.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Got it. My best for you to get the FS.

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The grader saw it that exact way. They know cuts when they see them, just like we do. The grader made the call, this is the exception to the rule.

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take the chance on a regrade. With all the questionable contact in and around the steps? A 66FS would be more reasonable than a 67FS.

9. Lehigh96

They can’t downgrade a regrade, it is guaranteed to come back MS67. The obverse is spectacular and the coin looks tremendous in hand. I have no worries.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  10. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Hence gradeflation. It can't work any other way.

11. Lehigh96

The coin was graded in 2004, what are you talking about?

12. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

and that matters how? When you can submit it and the grade can only go up and never down, that is gradeflation. It is pressue for coining grades to always rise

Cheech9712 and Stevearino like this.
  13. Lehigh96

Ok, I misunderstood what you were saying. It still isn’t gradeflation though, as the coin has almost no chance to upgrade. In previous years, I would have submit the coin under what was called “designation review” which carried a fee of $12.

Since NGC discontinued the designation review service, my only recourse is to submit it for “Regrade” which is different from cracking and resubmitting.

They can’t assign a lower grade because of their grade guarantee. Now I don’t know how many people avail themselves of the “Regrade” services offered by the TPGs, but my guess is that it is a drop in the bucket compared to the crackout & resubmissions of conditional rarities that are the primary source of gradeflation.

Cheech9712, Stevearino and expat like this.
  14. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

Not fs. Marks on steps disqualifies as fs.

15. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

You're forgetting or not aware of the +1 policy/rule. If only 4 full steps they add 1 to make 5...and FS.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  16. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

@Lehigh96, I am about to submit a number of high-grade war nickels. If submitting raw, do you usually go with NGC or PCGS?

Steve

17. Mcpix

Mcpix Member

18. Lehigh96

That depends on the coin. If the coin has full steps, but is weak in any area at all, I choose PCGS. For toned coins or coins that don't have full steps, I usually go with NGC, but again, it is a coin by coin decision. If you have any questions about specific coins, feel free to PM me.

Paul

Morgandude11 likes this.
  19. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

You gotta

20. Mcpix

Mcpix Member

If you crack out a coin before you resubmit, it can most certainly be downgraded.

21. Lehigh96

I agree, but I also specifically stated that I am not cracking the coin out, I am using the NGC "Regrade" service.

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted