GTG - 1943 Walker

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ToughCOINS, Sep 15, 2019.

?

What do you grade this?

1. AU58

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. MS63

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. MS64

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. MS65

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  5. MS66

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. MS67

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. Details

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

MS65- after I thought better of the AU58 I gave it - after reexamining the obverse high points. There’s a little scratch at 3:00 but I decided I’ve seen more marks on 65’s.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

4. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

If you get this right, I’m buying all your AU58’s from you.

C-B-D likes this.
  5. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I’ll guess 66

6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

7. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

As with all of the AU guesses in the GTG's for the past several months.... I'm perplexed.

Would someone who guessed AU please kindly explain why you guessed AU in this case? I truly want to know.

I keep meaning to ask this in my GTG threads.... there's always a few who guess AU, and I'm not sure why.

Please. Tell me what you are seeing in these photos that points to AU.

9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

The reverse photo was way too overlit, but at first glance this is what I saw... Clearly I was wrong and I own it. I think the color changes threw me off as well. In your guess the grade threads, I've only been way off once, guessing MS64 when it was a 66, if memory serves. The rest I think I either got right or missed by a point.
    20190916_220737.jpg 20190916_220815.jpg

10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

As I said, this one was difficult because of the pictures. As you identified, there were several areas of the pics that may have led to confusion. On the obverse especially, the breast is the first place I look at for traces of wear. Liberty leads with her breasts, and wear appears here first. On a "maybe AU" coin like this, it will appear either as flatness (AU-55) or as slight dullness (AU-58). While the pictures here weren't perfect, they were sufficient that I really didn't see any dullness on these high points.

The same sort of thing applies on the reverse - looking at the high points, do you see any discoloration or wear? I don't. And thus, I'm led towards an UNC grade. After that, looking at the luster, strike, and marks will lead me to (hopefully) the right grade.

11. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I gave my reasons for the 58, there is discoloration (could be toning or lighting) on the front part of the eagle's leg that could be wear, as on the breast and flag to the left of the leg of Liberty. If this was a blast white coin, would it make a difference in the grade? I dont know enough about grading, and in particular grading from a photograph this series yet (obviously). That is why I GTG (to learn).

Micbraun points out these are typically weakly struck areas. So my walker below is NOT graded, but I have posted it before and it was commented on as between 53 and 58. There is very little toning on this one but is it wear or weakly struck in the same areas? PhotoEditor_20190916_200950269.jpg PhotoEditor_20190916_201022133.jpg

12. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

So I do see slight wear on my coin compared to the OP's coin. Very subtle but there nonetheless. When comparing side by side or with experience (I am guessing) it stands out much more.

13. FrankHKP7

FrankHKP7 Active Member

I'm w/ CBD on this one. I picked up the same points as he did. Maybe it was the break in the toning on the high points... When you turn the coin is there luster on the high points? I have blast white 41S I posted on here a while back that was a 58 and I literally can't find a hint of rub anywhere and neither could any of the folks here. I do love the guess the grade threads though!

-Frank

14. Player11

Player11 Bullish

The 1943 walker too darkly toned for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted