GTG: 1942 Walking Liberty Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bradley Trotter, Jun 30, 2020.

1. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

NO!
    J.T.

Stevearino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

I had it as MS 63 before seeing the reveal, so I'm not surprised either. This is a typical crusty unc silver coin. I'm not a fan of the look, but it's clearly an UNC coin.

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think what you guys are missing is that Walkers do come weakly struck, and when they are, the areas that are missing details are the same areas that experience wear first. The fact that there is "no hand" tells us this is a weakly struck coin and it stands to reason that the Liberty's leg, and the eagle's breast and leg would be equally weak. This is why the TPGs typically require evidence of friction in the fields when grading a coin like this. Now I can't say definitively that there isn't friction in the fields, but I've only seen a photograph and NGC has seen the actual coin, so I'm inclined to defer to their opinion.

Additionally, this coin has toning that covers most of the obverse surfaces and typically, you don't see circulated coins, even AU coins, with that much toning. This coin has a very specific crusty look to it and the TPGs like these coins (see examples shown below).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you click on the images above, it will take you to the Heritage Auction page.

capthank, ddddd and Bradley Trotter like this.
  5. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

So is there hope for this one being MS? I know I need better pics with less light but when I posted this last year most people opined that it was an AU 58 (or lower). It has amazing luster (obviously). Polish_20200701_204028188.jpg

Bradley Trotter and capthank like this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I do see what you are saying @Lehigh96 there is though a big difference between the look on these coins. OP the breast for example does not look like the coins you posted. There is light scuffing and a deeper tone that is 9/10 indicative of wear thru photos. Maybe it looks different in hand, It's more than possible.
    I will agree to disagree as the coin to me looks like an AU.

7. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

QuintupleSovereign and Dynoking like this.
  8. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

9. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

I will continue to wait for early full strike coins. Why settle for a weak strike or late die state common date coin?

J.T. Parker likes this.
  10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the OPs coin is not a weak strike, but a circulated coin. I had to check the cert # to make sure the slab was authentic. That is NOT an MS coin in my opinion. AU 50 at best, or lower.

J.T. Parker, LA_Geezer and Stevearino like this.
  11. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

When I originally bought this coin, I was a much younger collector who had too much birthday money burning a hole in my pocket. Granted, I didn't care about a weak strike or eye appeal; I had just wanted something toned for my collection. Looking back on it now, I wouldn't have bought this coin if I had known as much as I know now.

12. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, I know nothing. Sgt. Sholtz

13. MisterWD

MisterWD Active Member

It looks like there is something stamped into it, right there in the sun. That doesn't affect the grade?

14. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

15. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

I was late, but was going to say AU 50.

Draft saved Draft deleted