GTG 1942 Mercury Dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, May 24, 2015.

1. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I grade that label MS67. :D

How old is that, jt, do you know? Might be worth it. Markets change, and market grading changes with it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

@eddiespin I'm not sure how old it is. I just bought it on eBay a little over a week ago. I would imagine it's not that old, since it is in a pronged holder. The price really jumps going from a 67 to a 67FB on the PCGS price guide. Like $65.00 - $400.00

4. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

I say gamble for the fb.

5. Barber dime 94s

Barber dime 94s Active Member

I believe ngc is a little different on the FB designation , pcgs and anacs require split bands.. I'm pretty sure ngc and icg require spit raised bands. Someone here might know more but I've got icg and ngc mercurys that look to be split bands as well but are not labeled as so.

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Wow on that price jump. But that's right, I don't know how I missed those prongs.

Interesting. I guess the only way you tell that is by seeing enough of these because they never tell you what the hell they're doing, lol.

Barber dime 94s likes this.
  7. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

I'm in the MS 67 FSB camp also. I'd try to get a marked FSB slab too,good luck!

8. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

I would regrade. There is a huge difference in value between FB and not FB.

9. jtlee321

Next question. Should I try to send it to PCGS and send it still in the slab and request a minimum grade of MS-67 FB? Or try to send it back to NGC?

10. Barber dime 94s

Barber dime 94s Active Member

If it was me I would try and find out if what ngc and pcgs require for the FSB is really different. If it's true that pcgs only requires the bands to be split while ngc requires raised and split I'd send it to pcgs or anacs.

11. brg5658

brg5658 Well-Known Member

Many of you may be interested in this article/thread I wrote up on the NGC forums a couple years back.

PCGS assigns the Full Bands designation to Mercury Dimes more often than NGC does (proportion wise) for all years and at all grade levels (across the board). This lead me to the final determination that, indeed, PCGS and NGC must use different standards despite the lack of published information on their grading standards.

There was an article back in 2000 (detailed in my write-up) that showed pictures and offered information on the differing standards for split bands versus fully split (and rounded) bands. That picture is also included in my write-up.

If there is enough interest, I could update the article and republish it here on this forum.

Barber dime 94s likes this.
  12. jtlee321

Wow!! Thanks for that information. I think I will send this in to PCGS and try to get a cross over. I have a good feeling it will get FB designation from them.

13. Derry

Derry Member

Looking at a closeup of IGWT it looks like a doubled die to me. I don't know of a '42 DDO listed anywhere. (except the 2 over 1). I grade it a 67+ FSB

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Is this a candidate for a PCGS "+?" This one didn't get MS68, but I still think it's there. Would they give it MS67FB+ if they thought it's close to MS68? How does that work?

15. jtlee321

At this point, any upgrade would be absolute joy!! I picked it up for $44.00 in a "Best Offer" format.

Draft saved Draft deleted