GTG : 1942 Ireland Shilling Bull x2

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by iPen, Dec 9, 2016.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Guess what NGC graded these two WWII era Irish shilling coins?

As an aside, these pre-mid-20th century Irish and many Scandinavian coins are modern-esque in its simplistic design. I don't really like the simplistic design elements of moderns, but this one's done right IMHO. Though, of course, it's not a modern coin at all.

Here are pre-submission photos I took of them:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paddy54 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

First - awesome examples! I would say MS64 on #1 and MS65 on #2. I'm not sure if NGC offers Star Designation on world coins yet, but I've be a believer in a Star on either or both.

iPen likes this.
  4. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I dont have a clue about these. Im gonna say 65 for both though

5. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

That's a nice one. I have a set of these Irish shillings and this is the one year in which mine looks really bad but I can never find a better example.

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

For, grins I am going to say MS66 and 67.

7. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'm going to say MS-65 on the first and MS-64 on the second.

8. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Some of you are very close to getting both right!

The first one's the tougher one.

9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Both are great looking coins 67 and 66 in my book. Would love to own a 39 shilling like those ,I have the half crown in AU. A gift from a member here about 8 years ago.

10. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Here's the verdict by NGC:

#1 = MS-63
    #2 = MS-65

For the first one, I didn't think the slight surface wear on the reverse (i.e. right half of Bull side on fields) detracted from the visual attraction towards the main focal points. If you change the angle of the coin especially when looking at the cartwheel luster, it nearly disappears altogether. I've seen worse distractions on other coins grade as MS-63. Maybe the NGC graders were rushed, as not only was this recently received in the mail ready for the holidays, but I also had a coin sent to NCS for the same submission that delayed everything by weeks.

And the second one, I really thought it deserved at least a star designation... oh well.

Draft saved Draft deleted