GTG 1942-D Jefferson Nickel (PCGS)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Mar 1, 2021.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade (PCGS)

1. AU58

2. MS60-63

3. MS64

4. MS65

5. MS66

6. MS67

7. Other (Please Explain in Comments)

8. FS (Full Steps)

9. NOT FS

10. + Grade

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I’ll take your word on the condition and grade but PCGS is very generous on that bottom step, and I think everyone knows it.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I think that is a 67 all day, but I am of the impression that PCGS is more lenient on FS designation, than NGC? I was originally under the impression that it was an NGC submission, as I had thought the FS for this coin was close, but not quite by NGC standards.

4. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I'm so bad at nickels. :oops:

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I agree that PCGS is more lenient on the FS designation which is why I submitted it to PCGS rather than NGC, but the title of the thread is GTG 1942-D JN PCGS so I am not sure why you thought it was going to NGC.

6. Lehigh96

The bottom step doesn't count. PCGS only requires 5 full steps which equals four full lines, which this coin has. The areas of concern for me when I submitted it was the two tiny little marks under the 2nd & 3rd pillars, PCGS allows them, NGC will often reject a coin for 5FS because of tiny marks like that.

kSigSteve likes this.
  7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

NGC would call those breaks in the steps?

8. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

:cigar:

That’s a really nice coin. We can see why it was a stand out from the album and a great one to submit.

eddiespin likes this.
  9. Morgandude11

Why? Because most of your Nickels have been NGC, so, that was my assumption. Obviously, it was a false assumption.

10. Lehigh96

I'm not saying that, I'm saying it is much more likely that NGC would refuse to give the coin full steps than PCGS and I didn't want to have to submit the coin twice. Not to mention, resale value is better in PCGS plastic.

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Why is it a problem if they don’t look at it as interrupting the steps is what I’m asking.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  12. Morgandude11

This is a ‘42D PCGS MS 66+ FS. It looks more decisively FS to me than the OP’s Nickel, as I see it. Just my opinion. Not my coin, not my circus, nor my monkeys.

BF70304B-CD2A-485A-B22A-221BEB51BAB4.png

13. Lehigh96

I'm saying, NGC might look at it as interrupting. I sent it to PCGS, better safe than sorry.

Morgandude11 and eddiespin like this.
  14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah, I was just trying to follow you. If anybody ought to know them, it’s you. Turned out it’s everything you say it is the way they graded it.

Cheech9712 and Morgandude11 like this.
  15. Lehigh96

Let's put it this way, this coin is so good, it is replacing my NGC MS67 6FS in my registry collection, which will then be put up on the eBay block.

Cheech9712 and kSigSteve like this.
  16. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

It is what it is (if there's four complete lines there's 5 steps...?). Still, looking at it objectively...different from subjective TPG (more later)...I just don't see 5 full steps here, but I'm no expert numismatist or TPG and I'm here to learn, share, etc. Overall, also think the 67 is too high, but a beautiful Jefferson to be sure. All IMHO.

eddiespin likes this.
  17. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I’m guessing 5 full steps. But that’s a crap shoot. Sometimes I think TPG uses a monkey to grade the steps

18. Cheech9712

Great news. I am believing you. You poor baby. Lol

19. Cheech9712

Poll won’t even let me vote.

20. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

OK. That I can see.

21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The GTG is too old. I have mine set at 7 days.

Cheech9712 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted