GTG 1942-D Jefferson Nickel (NGC--Bonus)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Dec 23, 2021.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade (NGC)

1. AU58

2. MS60-63

3. MS64

4. MS65

5. MS66

6. MS67

7. Other (Please explain in Comments)

8. 5FS (Five Full Steps)

9. NOT FS

10. + Designation

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please guess the grade of the 1942-D Jefferson Nickel shown below. I have attached a poll for you to cast your vote and you may select up to 3 different things: the numerical grade, 5FS or Not FS, and + grade.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Like my last GTG thread, this one also has a bonus, but I won't divulge what the bonus is until the reveal. Have fun with this one guys.

Please don't forget to vote in the poll about how you think NGC graded the coin, and as always, comments welcome.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

67 no fs nice nickel.

5. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I went MS66 for this one - although with the clean obverse I suppose I could easily see a 67 grade. Of course, that being said, I feel like I see what could be wear on TJ's collar, so maybe it comes in at AU58.

As for the bonus, it doesn't look like D/Horizontal D or the DDR (although I can't quite zoom in enough to be confident) so I'm really not sure (other than a W.)

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  6. ddddd

ddddd Member

MS 66 5FS .... luster looks strong and the obverse is remarkably clean; I believe the reverse holds it back from anything above 66 (combination of the chatter below the E and P of "E Pluribus" and the dings on the pillars). I'm guessing this one also sneaks into a 5FS holder but the steps under the 2nd pillar are a bit worrisome as are some of the hits under the 3rd and 4th pillars.

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

I forgot to comment about the bonus but then again I don't see anything that stands out so I'm clueless. :p

8. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

For the bonus I'm going to say DDO-001 as a guess.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

MS-66, not FS to me but NGC may have as it’s close. I get NGC and PCGS FS mixed up. They have different standards where I don’t.

10. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I am at MS65 5FS.

11. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

12. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

MS66 5FS
    It is a transition period strike, KM#192 , with the MM to the right of Monticello

13. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

14. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Not sure about the marks in the field above Monticello, but I voted 66 Not FS.

15. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

beautiful nickel but sowwy... not full 5 steps..4.5 but i gave it MS67 though might be being a touch generious with the chatter on the reverse... but is a 66 Minimum :D

16. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

67, but not FS. Very clean surfaces, but die issues on the reverse. Great light golden toning and fabulous. I feel that the luster , color, and silky surfaces push it into ultra gem status. Looks like 4 1/2 steps—a couple of breaks on the right hand side. I would think the reverse die is shot its useful life, and was deteriorating, so the strike is worse on the reverse than the obverse (probably slightly misaligned. That minor misalignment made @potty dollar 1878 think it was a DDO. That date and mint is not known for sharp strikes. I think it is a strong eye appeal coin.

Bonus? Did it get a star for color? Doubt it, as you have posted more vivid color coins that did not get the star. NGC is brutal on Jefferson color for the star.

17. Lem E

Lem E Well-Known Member

MS-66. Looks like some blending in a few spots on the steps so no FS.

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  18. Lehigh96

After @kSigSteve gives his opinion, I will do the reveal.

RonSanderson likes this.
  19. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

MS-67 Lamination error on reverse

20. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

66+ no FS for me.

It is super close to FS but I think there is a break in the black line of the top of the step under column 3.

6545 QSM

21. Lehigh96

Nobody got this one, but the 3 above were closest. All the guys who said MS67 also said it just missed full steps.

[​IMG]

As for the bonus, I cracked this coin out of an old fatty NGC slab, what do you think the original grade was?

ddddd and Lem E like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted