GTG 1941-D Jefferson Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Dec 3, 2019.

?

Please guess the assigned grade

1. MS64

2. MS65

3. MS66

4. MS67

5. MS68

6. Other (please explain in comments)

7. FS (5 Full Steps)

8. + grade

9. * designation

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please guess the grade of the 1941-D Jefferson Nickel shown below. I have attached a poll for you to cast your vote and you may select up to 4 different things: the numerical grade, Full Steps, + grade, and * designation. Now it is obvious that the coin is housed in a PCGS holder so it can't have the star designation, but please consider that I may cross this coin to NGC, so your vote with respect to the * designation would be whether or not you think the coin would get a star from NGC in the future. Please vote for your grade before scrolling down to read the responses as they may influence your decision.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As always, comments welcome!

CircCam and tibor like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

I'll guess 65 with 5 steps. I like the suttle toning.

4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Likely PCGS grade: MS-67.

The luster appears quite strong, and the eye appeal is obviously quite attractive. There is some planchet roughness on his cheek, and there are a few noticeable contact marks in his hair. There don't appear to be many marks worth mentioning on the reverse.

Also, this clearly does not appear to have 6FS. I think these steps are above average, and might just barely qualify for 5FS.

5. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

6. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Would this coin warrant a star designation by NGC?

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Not in my opinion, no. The Star should be for exceptional eye appeal. It has fairly average eye appeal for a 67. It is attractive and lustrous, but the toning is mostly generic gold with some subtle highlights. This is not Star quality.

8. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

10. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

MS 67, with 5 full steps. Nice toning as well.

11. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

MS 65, bottom step merged. Reverse somewhat soft-appearing strike. Nice luster.

12. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

I put MS64+. A really nice coin but, I feel, it's another one that didn't quite pass muster to the gem grade.

13. CircCam

CircCam Victory

67FS. Beautiful coin

14. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

It is close to 67. I will say 66+ 5FS

15. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I voted MS65+FS.

16. ddddd

ddddd Member

MS 66 FS....looks clean and appealing (but not star worthy in my opinion)

17. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

MS67 no full steps because of the mark across steps 4 and 5 between pillars 2 and 3. No star because of the late die stages and the orange peel effect.

Nice coin!

18. Lehigh96

I bought this coin as part of a 10 coin set which equated to about $20 per coin. To my eyes, the coin is certainly 5FS and has a decent shot at upgrading to MS67 if I submit to NGC. The luster and eye appeal are much better than my photos show.

[​IMG]

It really surprises me that PCGS didn't grade this coin FS.

furham likes this.
  19. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

If anybody would PCGS would. I think it deserves it.

20. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

Dear Lehigh,

I have numerous nickels displaying the same type of steps situation as the coin you display here. The main block of 5 steps is complete with 5 full incuse lines. BUT, outside the 5 step block, at bottom is a partial line, a broken incuse line appears on my coins and about the same as this coin of yours. SO, technically it is a full 5 step. The bottom broken "step" is irrelevant, as it is below the full 5 steps. You are the expert here, do you agree?? If it is not a "step" within the proper "block" of 5, then PCGS made a bo bo here! Please reply.
    Gary in Washington

21. Lehigh96

I have linked a thread I wrote a decade ago about the definitions of full steps below; it should answer any questions that anyone may have. Your point is well taken and is the reason that I posted this guess the grade thread. This coin clearly has 5 Full Steps which is all that is required for PCGS to award the FS designation yet the coin does not bear the designation. In fact the steps are so clear that I think the coin would easily be graded 5FS by NGC. In that light, the coin is also a very high end MS66 in PCGS which means it has a strong chance at grading MS67 5FS by NGC. I plan to crack this coin out and submit it to NGC for grading. If it comes back MS66 5FS, I will break even or lose a few dollars, but if it comes back MS67 5FS I will make a nice little profit.

The FS (Full Step) Designation for Jefferson Nickels Defined (PHOTOGRAPHICALLY)

Paul

GSDykes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted