GTG 1940-S Jefferson Nickel (NGC--Bonus)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Dec 22, 2021.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade (NGC)

1. AU58

2. MS60-64

3. MS65

4. MS66

5. MS67

6. Other (Please explain in comments)

7. 5FS (Five Full Steps)

8. 6FS (Six Full Steps)

9. NOT FS

10. + Designation

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please guess the grade of the 1940-S Jefferson Nickel shown below. I have attached a poll for you to cast your vote and you may select up to 3 different things: the numerical grade, the 5FS or 6FS or Not FS, and + grade.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I mentioned in the title that this GTG had a bonus. This coin is from my most recent submission, and in fact, I don't even have the coins in hand yet so it may take a while to do the reveal. That said, I cracked this coin out from another slab (not PCGS), so if you feel brave, take a guess as to the name of the initial grading company and their assigned grade if you wish and respond in the comments below.

Please don't forget to vote in the poll about how you think NGC graded the coin, and as always, comments welcome.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

66 5FS and before anacs 64 no FS,pretty decent for such a worn die strike.

Lehigh96 likes this.
  4. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

66 5 FS. The coin is very clean in terms of absence of nicks. It has appealing tone on the obverse. The strike is weak, from dies that look badly worn—that makes the Monticello building look rather weak. The reverse die looks like it had greater wear than the obverse. That makes me wonder if the dies were misaligned in terms of pressure. Luster is kind of muted for a gem MS coin. I would have said 65 FS from the muted luster, but think the surface preservation carries the ball over the 66 line. Interesting coin, as it is clean, but not snappy, nor does it scream out with luster, yet it has clean surfaces.

Lehigh96 likes this.
  5. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

I think MS66 5FS

Lehigh96 likes this.
  6. Millard

Millard Coindog

I'm guessing MS66 5FS, and it looks like you got some DDO stuff on the date? especially the 4

Morgandude11 and Lehigh96 like this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

MS 66+ 6FS
    Original holder guess: newer gold PCI: MS 67

The steps look to be all there (a bit of weakness but none are interrupted enough to prevent the 6FS). The coin is also very clean but it just doesn’t have enough for me to call it a 67. The two scrapes on the reverse (between Five and Monticello) I believe are the only minor issue with the coin (and they are quite minor).

8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I voted 66 5FS, but what struck me is how soft Monticello is and yet the steps look fine. I would think that on a severely worn die, that the steps would be the first to go "soft." But what do I know?

Morgandude11 likes this.
  9. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I wondered about doubling on the obverse, especially in “We Trust.” I would think it is more a function of poorly aligned dies, IMO.

10. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

I think originally it was MS65 Five FS.
    This time I think it will come back as MS66 - 6FS. Lovely clean appearance but I think you know the images are muting the luster a bit and are secretly hoping for MS67-6FS. As you say, time will tell and I can't wait to see the result when you get it back. Good luck, nice looking coin

Lehigh96 likes this.
  11. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

The results sure are going to be interesting:):).

12. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I give it a MS66 with 5 steps!! Truly an amazing Coin!!:)

13. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

NGC 66 6FS

ANACS 66 5FS

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I gave it a 66/5 but wouldn’t be surprised if it hit better on both. It’s that hard for me to find something I don’t like about this one.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  15. Lem E

Lem E Well-Known Member

I’m going to stay conservative on this one and say 66-6FS. Looks very clean, but I’m not sure how they are going to treat the weakness on the reverse. Very well could pick up the + but will be interesting to see how it turns out.

16. Lehigh96

17. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I voted MS66 5FS

18. Lehigh96

Bonus Reveal: 1940-S Jefferson Nickel SEGS MS65 MS65 6FS

[​IMG]

Like most of you, my first impression of this coin was a solid MS66 6FS, so I decided that it was worth the grading fee to try to get the upgrade and at the very least get it into an NGC slab which is much more liquid than the SEGS slab, no matter the assigned grade.

The only question now is, did I succeed?

The reveal will take place sometime next week when I get the coins in hand.

SensibleSal66, expat, ddddd and 3 others like this.
  19. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

20. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Dings on the reverse and smaller ones on the obverse have me at MS64 5 steps.

Z

21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The 4 seems to match DDO-001 on Variety vista. I don't think it is a recognized variety by NGC. I believe it has to have an FS# in order to qualify.
    I am at 65 6fs. Pretty coin even with the die deterioration.
    Those eye-catching dings on the reverse keep it from 66.

kSigSteve likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted