GTG: 1938 New Rochelle Sestercentennial

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Beefer518, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

One of my two latest.

What do you grade it?

IMG_8596 (Custom).JPG IMG_8601 (Custom).JPG

ddddd likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

You got a New Rochelle?? wow you must make a pretty good living up there in Westsconsin what was your address again?:troll:

These are so pricey that I don't even know how to grade them 63?

Edit: i just went and looked, they arent as pricey as i thought. Not sure if i recalled wrong or if the price has gone down?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Beefer518 likes this.
  4. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

5. Beefer518

I thought they were pricey as well, but not really. It's the Hawaiian, Spanish Trail, Hudson, Antietam, Gettysburg, and Missouri that are/can be the wallet killers.

6. heavycam.monstervam

I could of swore this was a $500+ coin in UNC. I havent looked at the commem series as a buyer in 4 or 5 years now. I got burnt on a MS66 Roanoke i bought. The price dropped from 450 to 250 in like 2 or 3 months. I said never again, other than a few Stone Mountains and Columbians ive flipped.

BTW, i hope to see you post a nice Cincinnati on here one day. The obverse is so-so, but the reverse, is, just, beautifully executed !! homer-simpson-feature1.png

7. Beefer518

Ok, I'll post a GTG on mine. Give me a minute.

8. heavycam.monstervam

Well, i didnt know you had one yet. Cool

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm at 65 or 66. Nice coin.

10. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I think it's a nice looking 64. The surfaces look odd to me, almost proof like. The luster is not the typical I would expect.

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

64+

I think it just misses being gem bu due to a few small marks and a small spot on the reverse

12. ddddd

ddddd Member

These do come in pl and in a special specimen finish. I don’t think this is one but maybe it used the same die?

“A total of 50 special or "Specimen" strikings of the New Rochelle half dollar were distributed to important members of that community, along with those on the related Coinage Committee and certain individuals connected to the Westchester County Coin Club. While a number of prooflike pieces are known for the issue, this coin sets itself apart for its detail. While most examples have an extremely blurry on the petal midrib of the iris, this piece is sharper there, if not complete on the uppermost element. Extensive die polish lines descend through the flower, a clue to the source of this coin's reflectivity.”

Per Heritage

jtlee321 and longshot like this.
  13. Mike at APMEX

Mike at APMEX Member

When you see one of the specimen strikings, all other New Rochelles pale in comparison. There are maybe 50 - 100 New Rochelles that were not specimens but were struck using the same dies on normal blancks. Those are the coins that can come back from NGC graded as "PL".

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

15. Beefer518

16. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

Getting caught up on your GTGs for your commems. I like this one. Clean with nice luster.

Draft saved Draft deleted