GTG 1938 Jefferson Nickel #1

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Nov 11, 2019.

?

Guess the assigned grade

1. AU58

2. MS64

3. MS64*

4. MS65

5. MS65*

6. MS66

7. MS66*

8. MS67

9. MS67*

10. Other (please explain in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

I didn't realize the OP can tell how each person voted! haha.

Anyway, I did vote AU58. It was a difficult decision from pictures alone. I saw slight wear, which I did not feel could be attributed to a lack of depth or detail that is usually caused by the nickel composition (hard metal, difficult to strike). Areas in the hair on obverse (especially a spot straight up from ear just before hairline) and on Monticello on reverse I took for slight wear.

Stevearino and Lehigh96 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sunflower_Coins

Sunflower_Coins Importer and Exporter

Unless your picture is missing something, that grade just baffles me. I wonder if the TPGs follow a "guilty until proven innocent" rule with MS-appearing coins. If they aren't 101% there is no wear, then BAM you get an AU58.

It's things like this that have me wringing my hands whenever I submit MS coins.

4. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I meant to vote 65 but clicked 66 by accident I was debating between the2 anyway. Technical 65 with the small ticks but I could see the color and luster bump to 66. No way would I call it 58 in today’s grading world. 25 years ago I could see it

Lehigh96 likes this.
  5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Agree.

You can bet that if Heritage sent this coin in, it wouldn't come back 58.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Mainebill likes this.
  6. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

It is hard to know from pictures. We do not have the luxury of halogen lamps, raw coin in hand. This coin was either an AU58 or gem-MS65: no in between. I opted for wear but I could have just as easily been wrong.

If I owned this coin, I would consider resubmitting.

7. gbandy

gbandy Junior Member

I have a difficult time detecting slight wear on Jeffersons, glad to know I'm not alone :)

Draft saved Draft deleted