GTG 1938-D Jefferson Nickel (NGC) #2

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, May 2, 2022.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade (NGC)

1. MS60-63

2. MS64

3. MS65

4. MS66

5. MS67

6. Other (Please Explain in Comments)

7. 5FS (Five Full Steps)

8. 6FS (Six Full Steps)

9. NOT FS

10. + Grade

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please guess the grade of the 1938-D Jefferson Nickel shown below. I have attached a poll for you to cast your vote and you may select up to 3 different things: the numerical grade, 5FS or 6FS or NOT FS, and + grade.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As always, comments welcome, and please remember to vote in the poll.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm a nickel neophyte, but it doesn't look to me like any of the steps are fully defined across their entire width.

I'm curious about what's going on with the reverse rim, particularly from 7 to 10 o'clock. It looks like it's pitted, and I'm wondering if there's actual damage.

The fields and luster look glorious from these shots, but I voted "Other" for grade. I'll be watching with interest for other opinions, and for the reveal.

4. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I am torn between a 66 and 67, with no FS. The surfaces are extremely clean, so I am going to go with a weakly struck 67. That takes care of a weaker reverse strike, and no FS in one package. The graininess in the reverse is die deterioration, which is often seen on 1938 and 38 D coins. Does anybody else think this is a very clean, ultra gem coin, with some die issues on the reverse?

5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I’m at MS66 5FS. I think the steps are really 5-5-4-5 but I think they called it close enough.

really clean and nice coin.

6. Lehigh96

7. Lehigh96

8. ddddd

ddddd Member

MS 66+ 5FS ....surfaces look super clean and lustrous (hence the plus from me)....I think the steps are questionable, especially under the 3rd pillar, but since you mentioned on the previous example that 38 Jeffersons are graded differently, I figure it passed using those standards

Lehigh96 and -jeffB like this.
  9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

MS66 with 5fs (just barely)

Lehigh96 likes this.
  10. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I voted MS65 not FS. The luster doesn't seem to come out in the photos as better than a 65 and there is an interruption in step 5 under the 3rd pillar.

11. Scott J

Scott J Well-Known Member

66 no fs
    Pretty coin

12. Lem E

Lem E Well-Known Member

Once again another good looking coin. After overshooting on the last one, I’m going 66 on the grade and am on the fence with the steps this time. The fields look pretty good, but there are a couple minor hits on Monticello and whatever that white spot is. I’m questioning if there is too much blending on the bottom step. I’ll be optimistic and say they pass. MS-66 5FS

Lehigh96 likes this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I said MS-66, not FS. To me they are close but not quite there. Depending on the TPG it may have received that designation.

14. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

15. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

As it is a '38D I am going with MS66+ FS

Lehigh96 likes this.
  16. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

I don’t think this one gets the FS. The other 38 had one area under column 3 in question.

To me this one seems to have some bridging under column 3 but also between columns 2 & 3.

I would call this a 5445.

Looks like a 67 but there are a few scattered carbon spots which bring me down to 66.

Final answer 66.

17. Lehigh96

In early, and in right, good job Richie!

So close, but I wish it had a "+"

Nailed it!

Nice adjustment, you dialed this one in like a sniper.

Very close, just like @ddddd with the added "+" designation.

[​IMG]

I submitted both of these 1938-D Jeffersons with the expectation that both would grade MS66 5FS. I got this one, but as we have seen, they blew the first one with that insane MS64 5FS grade.

ddddd, CamaroDMD, Scott J and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted