GTG: 1938-D Buffalo Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Nov 27, 2020.

?

Guess the Grade

1. MS-63

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MS-64

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. MS-65

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. MS-66

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  5. MS-67

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Actually, those are planchet preparation marks that were never fully struck out. There is no displaced metal signifying a post strike scratch.

Shoulder-Detail.jpg

Paddy54 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

4. jtlee321

I think we are ready for the reveal...

This one is in one of my all time favorite slabs. A 3rd generation NGC holder marked as a MS-65.

1938-D-Buffalo-Nickel-NGC-MS-65-Gen-3-Slab-Front.jpg 1938-D-Buffalo-Nickel-NGC-MS-65-Gen-3-Slab-Back.jpg

What I really like about this one, is I have one of it's brothers from the original submission. They have been reunited after who knows how many years. Based on the difference in color of the border on the label, I would guess they have been apart for at least 25 years.

1938-D-Buffalo-Nickel-NGC-MS-65-Slab-Front.jpg 1938-D-Buffalo-Nickel-NGC-MS-65-Slab-Back.jpg

ddddd, CircCam, longshot and 3 others like this.
  5. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

With that being an old holder, and you having the coin in hand, where do you think it would grade if submitted today?

jtlee321 likes this.
  6. jtlee321

I honestly think it could go 67 today. The luster is just dripping off of it, the eye appeal of the golden toning and very clean surfaces are all there. I would really like to see the pair come back with a gold CAC. I just don't think I could break them out of those holders.

Paddy54 and Beefer518 like this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Cool pair of Buffalo's. I thoroughly agree that I like the no line fatty and a CAC instead of an upgrade. By the way, they both seem to have the same MM position.

jtlee321 likes this.
  8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Fantastic old slabs! I love those!

This is the one with the gold stamp on the outside plastic, right? Not stamped on the inner white core?

jtlee321 likes this.
  9. jtlee321

Yes the gold stamp is on the outside. It's right after they stopped using the white labels. The generation lineup was the 1.0 Black core with a white label and silver NGC logo, 2.1 white core with white label and gold stamp on the white core, 2.0 white core with white label and the gold stamp on outside of the holder and then the 3.0. They added a border to the label.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted