GTG 1936 D Washington Quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by phankins11, Feb 13, 2015.

?

Guess the Grade:

1. AU58

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. MS60

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. MS61

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. MS62

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. MS63

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  6. MS64

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  7. MS65

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  8. MS66

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

This is not mine, nor do I plan on purchasing it. I am being studious and trying deepen my knowledge on the Silver Washington Quarters. As a part of this, I'm trying to gain a better understanding of what other collectors think a Washington Quarter should have, in order to grade at certain levels. This won't be the last, but if you could oblige me and give me your thoughts and guess the grade of this quarter I'd appreciate it.

On top of casting your vote on grade, please tell me what you think adds or detracts from this coin for its grade. Also, please refrain from attempting to match this in past sales archives and trying to spoil the results. I know what the grade is, just want to know what ya'll think it is and what you think of this example.

If I can remember I'll try to post the actual grade later this evening or tomorrow morning.

O.jpg R.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Heavy motto - MS60 - A few blimishes and marks on the obverse distracts from a higher grade in MHO.

jello and phankins11 like this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

AU58 if what I'm seeing on the high points is wear, otherwise MS62. It's reasonably well-struck and frosty-looking, with some detracting marks on the obverse devices. I don't really like the toning pattern, but I didn't take off for that.

phankins11 likes this.
  5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Pretty scuffy. Strike is decent, luster is average, eye appeal not so great on the reverse. I don't think I see wear, so I'm going to say MS62.

phankins11 likes this.
  6. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

This coin looks like it has great frost. It's also mint state with rather clean fields (remember, we are looking at a much larger image than the size of the coin) and the dirt or other "stuff" on the reverse appears original to the coin and not from dip residue. I actually like the look of this coin very much and would be in the MS64 to low end MS65 grade on the piece. Given one choice, I would say MS64.

phankins11 likes this.
  7. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

I'm going to guess MS62. Scuff marks and chatter on George's neck keep it from 63 IMO. Nice frosty luster.

phankins11 likes this.
  8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I agree.

phankins11 likes this.
  9. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I would guess that as a major condition rarity this coin would get a grade bump by PCGS. I think it would go MS63 due to the amount of chatter on Washington's cheek and neck area but with that bump probably is graded 64.

phankins11 likes this.
  10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Much choicer than usual.

I'd go 64

phankins11 likes this.
  11. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I say too scuffy. Ms 62. It's a hard coin to find in the series. I actually need one.

phankins11 likes this.
  12. phankins11

All great responses, gonna hold off posting the grade until a few more weigh in.

13. phankins11

I think this coin is over graded. I doesn't have a green bean, and I don't believe it would receive one in this holder. I do believe its been market graded due to it being the third key to this series. In my opinion this coin is at most an upper 64.

1936-D-PCGS-MS66-25230304.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  14. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Wow! Never would have guessed 66.

The other point illustrated by this little drill is just how much flaws are often magnified/enhanced by digital photography and zoomed in views we see on the internet as opposed to a coin in hand.

The image of the OP on my computer screen is 7 x 7.5 inches. With an image that large, surface imperfections are also accordingly magnified.

Lesson learned for ebay sellers.

Tater and phankins11 like this.
  15. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

My guess (before the reveal) was 65. I think it was weighted up for the heavy mint frost, but I have found a lot of variation in grading with these shades-of-blue holders. I'm also of the opinion that grading services don't so much grade to some set of criteria but use grades to "price" a coin.

16. I got in too late on this one--but excellent point on magnified images. I would have said ms63 at best--but then when you look at a normal size image--it looks a whole lot better,lol. Still don't know about it being a 66--I would keep it in the slab and definitely not try to crack it out,lol. Thanks for that exercise--I have a ways to go. I also need a 1936d to complete my collection.

17. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I'm a bit late, but I guessed 63. I could see this as a 64 - but 66 is just too damn high.

The luster looks frosty and strong, which is a big plus. However, there are quite a few marks on the cheek and bust, which have to bring it down. The fields look clean, however, but not 66 clean. The spotty toning on the reverse is neutral, but I'm not a huge fan. I don't think the spottiness is enough to bring it down a point, but it would lower the value.

18. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I am usually in the ball park but this time I didn't even show up. I can't see the 66 in it but what do ya do.

19. phankins11

True, but on the other hand I have images coming that are just as magnified, but show much better surface preservation. That is the biggest problem with this coin IMHO, the obverse surfaces around the crutial high points have taken some punishment. That said, this year and MM are extremly tough to find in higher grades.

Thanks for every one who replied, definitly helps me get a feel for what others are looking at. I will have a new one shortly.

20. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted