GTG: 1926 S Peace Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by stldanceartist, Aug 17, 2022.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Hello all!

Haven't been posting much lately - just a few sales posts here and there - but just picked up this sweet little toner yesterday and thought it would be fun to do a GTG. Feel free to share any additional thoughts you have regarding condition or toning.

1926 S Peace Dollar.jpg

EDIT: Here is another shot of the coin from a bit further away.

1926 S Peace Dollar 2.jpg

EDIT 2: Here are two more images. First one is further away than #2, second one is with the lighting at a different angle to (hopefully) accentuate the luster. I think the final one looks a lot closer to the coin in hand.

1926 S Peace Dollar 3.jpg

1926 S Peace Dollar 4.jpg

Thanks, and have a wonderful evening (or, if you're seeing this in the morning, have a great day!)

An aside comment - it's been so long since I've taken a photo of a coin, I kind of had to re-acquaint myself with the process. Hopefully the photos aren't too shabby. I do seem to lose some sharpness in the resolution in converting it to JPG format vs. TIF.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    Penny Luster, CircCam and ddddd like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

I'll guess MS 63 ....the cheek has a few hits but otherwise it seems clean (although the toning might be hiding a few marks); I'm not getting a feel for the luster-if it is there, then it could even go a bit higher but if it's not, that would be grade limiting. The toning is positive for a Peace Dollar-it's not a monster but one that would bring a premium.

Anthony Mazza and stldanceartist like this.
  4. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I like it! My gut reaction was 65, but having a hard time discerning what’s going on in the obverse left field through the toning. That’s a particularly tough coin to grade from pictures, I’ll say MS64.

-jeffB and stldanceartist like this.
  5. stldanceartist

I've added some new images, I think the last one shows the luster quite a bit better.

ddddd likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I’m at MS-64

stldanceartist likes this.
  7. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

9. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

These are the same thoughts I had. I'm at a 63 for the same reasons. Thank you for saving me some typing. ;)

ddddd and stldanceartist like this.
  10. psuman08

psuman08 Active Member

I would grade this as a 64. I expect it is in a 65 or 66 holder. I am not a fan of this toning.

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I know large images accentuate flaws, but I could almost swear that's graffiti on the cheek, especially from the first and second images.

It may be possible to grade from images through toning like this, but I sure can't do it. I'll be watching with interest.

12. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yep, gotta agree it's practically a 'tic tac toe' on her cheek! :D Maybe it's different in hand, idk!

13. ddddd

ddddd Member

Thanks! I'll stick with my original guess but wouldn't be surprised if it graded higher.

14. stldanceartist

I think it's time to do a reveal - everyone who was going to stop by and play has had a good chance.

Here she is - in a PCI holder (so the grade doesn't really mean much) which is most likely the cause of the color.

1926 S Peace Dollar Slab - Obverse copy.jpg

1926 S Peace Dollar Slab - Reverse copy.jpg

Thanks to all for stopping by!

ddddd and -jeffB like this.
  15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

What's your in-hand opinion on those marks/scratches/graffiti on the cheek?

16. stldanceartist

I just checked it out on my lunch break, and to be honest all but one of the marks look like minor bag marks (there are quite a few on the portrait.) One more resembles an old scratch (not a newer staple scratch, maybe something caused by the rim of another coin scraping along the cheek.)

The luster is all there, but I think the 60 grade comes from the multiple minor bag marks. I do wonder if it would upgrade a bit if submitted, but the absolute highest I could potentially see it going is 63 (much more likely to see a 61/62.)

ddddd and -jeffB like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted