GTG 1925 S California

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Charles Ruge, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Charles Ruge

Charles Ruge Supporter! Supporter

Another coin I got back from PCGS:

25 cal.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I haven't submitted anything to PCGS for a long, long time........MS67

4. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

While I like the design of the coin, I hate the grading on these. They have a different kind of luster then what you see on other coins, and that makes grading difficult. I've seen what I thought were 58's in 65 holders, and vise-verse.

But I'll go MS66 on this example, but even that's a SWAG. :panda:

Two Dogs likes this.
  5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The coin looks like an MS-66, but there is one problem I have found with PCGS True View photos. They often make the coin look better than it is. They are like the high school yearbook picture of the girl in the class who had had a terrible battle with acne who benefited greatly from the air brush.

Mike Thorne likes this.
  6. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

MS 65. The TrueView is a beauty contest photograph. I am going to assume the coin is clearly gem grade, but the TrueView exaggerates its spotless look.
    In any case, it is a beautiful coin.

Two Dogs likes this.
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

MS65 like most commemoratives that were not produced for circulation.

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

MS-65, Very nice indeed, thank you.

10. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

65. I'm not a big fan of toning, but your coin is nice.

11. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

12. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

pretty coin.

14. Charles Ruge

Charles Ruge Supporter! Supporter

Before the reveal, a little background on this coin. I bought this back in 1996 at the LCS, it was in a plastic holder and was graded MS64. This coin had more luster than any coin I had ever seen before. I paid $160 for it and was incredibly pleased. I sent it in for grading in Apr and got it back last week Sat. It was very disappointing to say the least.

Now the reveal:

DSCN0656 (2).JPG

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

I was guessing MS 64 before the reveal....based on the TrueView, I didn't see any evidence of a cleaning but that is often the case with TrueViews.

If there is no in-hand evidence of cleaning, you might want to try submitting it again to either NGC or Anacs (I've had one Buffalo nickel go from PCGS cleaned to Anacs straight graded several years back-it was another of those where I didn't see any evidence of a cleaning and Anacs agreed).

16. johnmilton

The True View photos made it look like a high grade coin. Your "reveal photo" seems to show the problems. The coin looks dull in that photo with haze and impaired luster in the fields.

As I said before, "True View" photos seem to make coins look better than they are.

eddiespin likes this.
  17. johnmilton

I would not try it again. The Grey Sheet bid in MS-64 is $240 which makes it a marginal coin given the cost of grading and shipping. If you want a California commemorative half dollar, I would buy one that has already been graded.

This one is in an MS-64 holder.

Calafornia All.jpg

eddiespin likes this.
  18. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'll never trust PCGS TV again! I don't like cartoons!

Dave Waterstraat and eddiespin like this.
  19. ddddd

ddddd Member

It wouldn't make sense to send it by itself, but if the original poster is doing a larger submission, it could be worth it (especially on one of the Anacs $10-$12 slabbing specials).

20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I love that, "True View." They got half of it right, it's a view.

Dave Waterstraat and johnmilton like this.
  21. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Going back to what I said in my first post, the California is one of the worst in the series to buy raw. It has a different 'type' of luster then what most people are used to, and that can cause one to think it's not what it is.

The TruView and the OP's images look like completely different coins.

Cheech9712, Mike Thorne and ddddd like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted