GTG: 1924 Saint-Gaudens

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GoldFinger1969, Mar 29, 2020.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I think it's a "great-looking" coin if it was an MS63 or lower. For a 65, it's average IMO. For a 67.....:D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

4. ddddd

ddddd Member

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  5. GoldFinger1969

At first glance it looks like a 67 -- certainly more than the 1924 !! -- but let me look at it later to others online and also my own MS66 that I picked up at FUN.

Right now, I'm watching another market meltdown......:eek: :D

ddddd likes this.
  6. GoldFinger1969

I compared the 1924 MS67 to my 1923-D MS66 and my 1924 MS65.

(1) I can't compare the luster from the photos to mine (good luster) because you can't see luster in most photos, and I can't tell if the luster/fields are clear and the "clouds" in the 2 fields are just that. So assuming it's not visible to the naked eye and more a photographic artifact, I thought my MS66 was cleaner with a better reverse and 1 less noticeable gash on the obverse than the MS67.

(2) Comparing the same coins -- 1924 -- but my 2-grades lower MS65, I had lots of bag marks in the 2 fields. But even assuming there is nothing to the "clouds" on the MS67 1924, the obverse hits were deeper and lots of reverse bagmarks on the MS67 and dings lead me very confused.

Even an MS66 for the 1924 seems very generous. If I were rich and the coin didn't go for what I thought it will as an MS67...I'd buy it....then bring it to FUN next January, take it to the PCGS tables with the label taped-over, and then ask them to grade that one and my MS65.

Would have proved interesting to say the least !:D

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    ddddd and -jeffB like this.
  7. St Gaudens collector

St Gaudens collector Active Member

It graded high because 24's are BORING!
    Can you imagine having to grade common saints between 63-65 all day.
    This one has character but I agree that the toning bump was too much.

I'd buy it for 66+ price.

8. GoldFinger1969

You think it's only overgraded by 1/2 number ? 66+ ?

It could look better in hand, but alot of good graders here took a look and I think the highest was MS65+.

A 67 should look pretty pristine. We can't ascertain if the 2 obverse fields are "dirty" or if it's bad photography, but you do have 2 noticeable gashes on that side and then lots of dings on the reverese. So you can't even say it's a 67 based on a 65 or 66 obverse and a strong 67 or more on the reverse. Neither side looks 67.

JMHO.

I'm really waiting to see what the auction brings for this coin. It's one thing to pay MS65 money for an MS63 coin, it's a few hundred bucks more. But anybody buying this is going to be paying 5-figures so it's serious $$$...and presumably they know how to grade Saints. So if they are buying the coin and not the slab.......

Again, even if the 2 obverse fields are clear (unlike in the photo), the 2 obverse gashes and all the little dings on the reverse to me make this no way an MS67.

Again, JMHO. :D

9. GoldFinger1969

JohnMilton had a 1907 High Relief...coin looked pristine...he posted it on one of the HR threads....I thought it was an MS67, he said it graded MS65. I may post those pics here.

10. St Gaudens collector

It's a full point over graded but 66+ price is only $3500 and this 24 is very interesting looking. So far as CAC goes, JA would throw it at the wall at 66.

Coin Facts.....
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1924-20/images/9177

11. GoldFinger1969

SOLD !!! That cloudy-looking 1924 MS67 was sold for $8,250 ($9,900 with bp), which is more than I thought but probably about 20% less than what the guides have it at. But prices do jump around alot at that level. A few years ago, you could have got one for $7,000.

I still think it's no higher than a 66 but maybe it looks different/better in hand.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    ddddd likes this.
  12. St Gaudens collector

I can see 5 figures for that coin on account of it being unique.

Better than a lot of more questionable purchases I've witnessed.

I'm going to post the images again.
    lfkjhvvj.jpg lfkjvkgv.jpg

David Betts and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  13. GoldFinger1969

ST. GC, what exactly about it do you like or find unique ?

Don't the cloudy fields on the obverse (and reverse) and the black areas on the reverse give you pause ?

14. St Gaudens collector

Here is a 68 Bella. pop 1 & 0 higher
    30433196_Medium.jpg
    Not the same I know but it gives you some idea of how dark gold can tone.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  15. St Gaudens collector

And a 25-D MS65 Simpson pop 6 & 2 higher
    29582955_Mediumefcdc.jpg

David Betts and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  16. GoldFinger1969

Maybe it's just me but I don't like those kind of TrueView or TrueView-like pictures. I prefer the ones that show light reflecting and look like they were taken by a high-qaulity camera or a smartphone.....these pictures almost look like paintings.

Even that 68 -- it's got to be close to flawless -- shows blotches all around, almost like discoloration. I'm sure if I had the coin in hand and moved it around a light source it wouldn't show like that, just the luster.

You see what I am saying ?

David Betts likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted