GTG: 1924-S Standing Liberty Quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MIGuy, Jun 12, 2021.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

VF-25, but it will probably come back as an EF-40. I always undergrade these things, and grade-flation makes up for the rest.

MIGuy likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I’m at VF30 on this one.

MIGuy likes this.
  4. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

VF-20

MIGuy likes this.
  5. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

F15

MIGuy likes this.
  6. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

F-15, Hope I'm wrong, good luck

MIGuy likes this.
  7. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

Well I like to see the answer on these after about 24 hours, though I'll post pictures when I have it in hand tomorrow after the mail comes, the answer (and popular choice by our smart commenters) is... 1924-S 25C VF 20. I admit I had hoped for a 25 or 30. It's a tough but fair grade in my view. This is a very high end VF20.

This is an upgrade for my set, currently I have an earlier ICG submission in this slot, which is VF20, Details Cleaned. The 24-S is rather pricey in higher grades, they only minted 2,860,000 in San Francisco that year, and it was the last year of the 1917-24 type 2 obverse design that featured the raised date that wore off in circulation rather easily. The 1916 is the rarest of course (not counting the 1918/17-S overdate), as they only minted 52,000 that year (in December, after producing the 1916 Barber quarter for most of 1916), and then they redesigned Lady Liberty in 1917 because of the sculptors objections to the initial run (moving from type 1 - no stars and bare breast to type 2 - three stars below the reverse eagle and chain mailed covered breast). Fun facts, 1. no quarters were minted in 1922 at all and 2. Chief Engraver Barber died in February, 1917 at age 77, and was replaced by his longtime assistant of 37 years, George T. Morgan, who had been assigned to assist the SLQ sculptor, MacNeil, with implementing the design for production and the redesign.

8. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Too late. I would have said VF 25

MIGuy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted