Featured GTG: 1922-D Lincoln Wheat Cent - there's gonna be a fight

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Sep 21, 2019.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Hits and marks do not disqualify a coin from MS

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I'm used to varieties where scarcity has no effect on grade. This does not appear to be how TPGs grade things. Die injury or State/Stage should not affect grades below MS60. PMD and wear should. This is one reason I have problems with TPGs.

ps CONDITION is the greatest factor in determining value anyway. Net gradeing is about value and I have no problem with that. I have a coin coming in which would grade XF40 net AG3. Most of the coins of this variety have a similar detail grade, but are valued quite differently due to condition issues.

4. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

:eek:o_O

Post pictures when it arrives?

6. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

These are the seller's pictures: 1796 S-113 Obverse.jpg 1796 S-113 Reverse.jpg
    This is a S-113 R5-. Many of these have a similar Detail grade, but the condition separates them in a significant way. This one cost me $80. A cherry pick, but these have gone from $220 to $22,000 in a similar grade but with condition being the key to value separation.

I have a special place for this reverse which is found on S-113, S-114, S-115 and 1797 NC-5 and I have all but the most common S-115 including two die states of the 1797 NC-5.

Mainebill likes this.
  7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

OK, I can absolutely see your technical and net grades there. I might even have some similar examples myself, although nothing so valuable.

Edit: why, here's one I'd already posted:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The wheat lines are still clear, but I needed oblique light to read the date and mintmark:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Excellent examples in the Lincoln Series.

Draft saved Draft deleted