GTG: 1920 P Walking Liberty Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by dimeguy, Sep 13, 2021.

1. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

This new addition to my set is graded by ICG. Please provide any reasons for your grade and in 2 day's time I'll provide my reasoning and the reveal. Thanks for playing along.
    1920 P Walking Half Obverse (1).jpg

1920 P Walking Half Reverse (1).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

REV looks EF 40
    OBV looks VF 35

4. LRC-Tom

LRC-Tom Been around the block...

I think it slips into VF-20, although I'd want to buy it as a F-15. That's assuming that whatever is going on between the R and T is not damage....

john65999 likes this.
  5. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Vf30
    Reason: I guessed based on what I didn't see.

Dynoking likes this.
  6. Mannie gray

Mannie gray Member

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am at a 25 maybe a 30, It all depends on the eye appeal.

8. Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson New Member

9. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

EF45 If I'm not mistaken, ICG is known for overgrading.

Auto correct tried to turn overgrading into overgrazing.

Yeah, like those graders at ICG have been overfed.

I dunno, maybe they have been.

Insider likes this.
  10. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I'll guess VF30.

11. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

Reveal time!

Preface: I am fairly new to the Walking Liberty Halves. I am fully aware my grading skills are not yet accurate, let alone confident. Secondly, I generally find ICG to do fairly well in the silver series I have studied up to this point. For the copper Lincoln Wheat cents...they are everywhere from graded too high, too low, or right on in my honest opinion. However, with that said, when I saw this one I thought, "No, this doesn't seem right."

slab reveal (1) (1).jpg

For my guess, I wagered a Fine. I felt lines were there in the skirt, not full. Eagle wing showed vertical linear definition though not full for the upper small wing to have full separation. Olive branch showed more definition though not enough for me to say distinctly VF. Again, based on popular opinion here, I may have under graded it, but that is fine. I know I am still learning. Still, I felt this coin does warrant more than the VG it earned, so I was happy to buy it.

Spark1951 and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Skip nailed you on that one! Those surfaces must be pretty beat up.
    LOL @Insider

13. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

@Insider has always said, if I remember correctly, he does not do market grading, only technical grading. So I think that whatever it is between R and T, and the surfaces overall kept it down.

14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

That is a silly grade.

AdamL and Insider like this.
  15. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

A solid F15.

16. Browns Fan

Browns Fan Active Member

G6. Not enough skirt lines for VG

17. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Looking at the image before the reveal, I would have guessed VF-something. Lowest "acceptable" grade is probably Fine-15. I don't see anything on the coin that would cause a net grade down to VG. You should send that back to ICG for review OR crack it and send it to another TPGS.

expat, posted: @Insider has always said, if I remember correctly, he does not do market grading, only technical [I do not price coins and do not use the "true" technical system anymore. I would call my grading conservative. If I GRADED THIS COIN VG, I WOULD BE VERY :bucktooth: WRONG! The only similarity between "true" technical grading and conservative grading is a very tight line between the AU & MS grades.] So I think that whatever it is between R and T, and the surfaces overall kept it down."

18. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

If I hadn't seen the reveal, I would have guessed either F15 or VF20, but probably F15. It's definitely better than VG10. I'm basing that on 65+ years of experience with coins.

manny9655 and chascat like this.
  19. I would have jumped on that coin,as it is a little nicer than the one i have. i would crack it open, send it to ANACS and have them conserve and grad the coin. I have seen coins like this VF & XF.IN PCGS HOLDERS

20. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

According to the standards, the grade was spot-on...VG8 was barely bit low but F12 ("all skirt lines evident")...and VF20 ("all skirt lines sharp") plus more that it doesn't meet...were too high. VG10 was it, and bravo for ICG.

21. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Don't know why the multiple posts...does it when I click on "Post Reply"...wish I could cancel, delete, etc...have tried but no cigar. Ought to be a self-delete option, in "More Options"...but have tried there and through "Edit" to no avail.

AdamL likes this.
  22. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

f-15, wear on dress and eagle

23. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

The reverse looks better than the obverse to me. Which is why my guess would have been too high. Looking now, specifically at the skirt lines, it makes more sense to me.

24. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Hey @Mac McDonald is that a stuck key problem?some of your posts have been repeating 10 times for a while now.

25. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

When I said F15, I was basing it on the breast lines. They're not complete so not a VF to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted