GTG 1916 25C Barber

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dima, May 20, 2020.

1. Dima

Dima Member

Howdy folks! Thought I'd share another guess the grade. This buddy looks like he certainly went a few rounds against an experienced boxer. The few dings on his cheek and nose are impossible to miss, but otherwise, I feel this coin is a beautiful, lustrous type coin; definitely one of my favorites!

1916 25C - Copy.jpg

As I mentioned in another thread, I recently sent a few older PCGS slabbed coins for regrade. I was most interested in getting the them out of old, scratched up, banged up holders and into new GoldShield holders, with high resolution photos. I couldn't help myself and decided to gamble a little extra on a few coins I felt were a bit undergraded. Some might argue against my approach - waste of money, paying for plastic, etc. - but we'll leave that for a different thread :)

I'll plan to reveal in ~24 hours.

-jeffB likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I'd think about a 62, not quite a 63.

-jeffB likes this.
  4. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I'll guess MS62.

Nitpick - It would be more correct to say her cheek and nose.:)

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    -jeffB and Dima like this.
  5. Dima

Dima Member

You are 1,000% correct; that is in fact Lady Liberty on the obverse. I know full well that the coin series gets their name from Charles Barber - the designer of the coin. But I think somewhere deep down in my subconscious, I like to (incorrectly) think that Mr.Barber himself is on the obverse :)

Edit - another well known misnomer is the Mercury dime. Again, Lady Liberty is depicted, but the winged helm's similarity to the Roman god Mercury's helm made the name stick.

longshot likes this.
  6. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

The obverse is MS62, but the reverse is good enough to bump the overall grade to MS63 IMO.

-jeffB likes this.
  7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

62...depending on what plastic....poss..63.

-jeffB likes this.
  8. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

9. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

A sweet 62+

-jeffB likes this.
  10. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I'm gonna say that they called it rub along her cheek and hair under the coronet

AU-55

11. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Great luster! I'll guess 62+ with the cheek marks the limiting factor.

-jeffB likes this.
  12. Dima

Dima Member

If there are no further guesses, I'll plan to reveal grade in ~hour.

13. ddddd

ddddd Member

MS 62

-jeffB likes this.
  14. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I think it will slab at 62 but I agree there appears to be some slight rub. Overall, a pretty coin.

15. Dima

Dima Member

Currently graded PCGS MS62. BEST case scenario, I think this might come back 63, but we'll see. The obverse dings are quite apparent - especially in high def photo. I'm staying optimistic that the flawlessness of the reverse tilts the scales in my favor ever so slightly. But, like I stated in OP, I sent these in knowing full well it was a gamble and likely would come back same grade.

-jeffB, longshot and bradgator2 like this.
  16. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Late, but I agree with the MS-62 grade. It has been dipped

17. Dima

Dima Member

Grades just posted. Friends over at PCGS reconsidered and have now graded it MS63.

-jeffB and ddddd like this.
  18. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Boom again!

Curious, what is the price difference between MS62 & MS63?

19. Dima

Dima Member

According to PCGS, $275 -> $350. (Not that I ever plan on selling it...)

20. ddddd

ddddd Member

$75 PCGS price guide difference and around a $30-$40 difference based on recent sales (although a 63 should be easier to sell compared to a less popular grade of 62).

Draft saved Draft deleted