GTG 1912 Wheat... Really NGC?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Evan8, May 20, 2019.

1. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

That's annoying if you submitted it, but if you were buying it and got it for 63 money or so, it would be a steal. Buy the coin not the holder is on your side in that case.

Evan8 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I didnt submit it. I paid double book for a 63. I did ok so I shouldnt complain. Just annoying cause they do this alot with dark lincolns.

4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

There were a bunch of heavy contact marks that put my technical grade at 63, but I figured it got the good ol eye appeal bump

Evan8 likes this.
  5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Honestly, the darkness of the coin was the main reason that I guessed MS63. The obverse looks MS64 and the reverse looks gem, but the close up photos are blasted with light. That it combination with your apparent hint that you were unhappy with the grade made me conclude that the coin was very dark and the luster was muted somewhat.

If the slab photo is an accurate representation of the coin, it only reinforces my feeling about the grade. However, I’m sure this coin looks much more impressive in hand.

Evan8 likes this.
  6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I was at 65BN. Some visible contact marks, but great eye appeal.

Evan8 likes this.
  7. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

CAC sticker worthy?

8. jgrinz

jgrinz Senior Member

tg it wasn't one of those coloring ones.
    I like it

9. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Virtually no contact marks, great fields and I have a soft spot for bn coins that have that color of toning under the brown. After seeing the slab picture, I know exactly what you have there. 63 seems pretty harsh IMO, likely because the luster is slightly subdued and the initial eye-appeal a bit down with the slightly mottled toning. Initial eye-appeal is what rings the bells with the TPG's.... this is one of those coins you have to look at deeper and not in 7 seconds.

It would go very well with my 1911 (which I have not sent in because of what happened to you):

1911tonedMesaPic.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted