GTG: 1909 VDB Lincoln Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Sep 21, 2016.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Recent acquisition from eBay. Just arrived today.

1909-VDB-Lincoln-Cent-Obverse.jpg 1909-VDB-Lincoln-Cent-Reverse.jpg

charlietig and rlm's cents like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

66 It is clean enough for a 67, but I cannot see the luster and the color is a bit variegated.

4. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

Ms66 nice coin!

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Is that A DDR? From BUS through UNUM caught my eye,
    Still working on the grade.
    By the way, I think I have narrowed it to DDR-002 And 005.

8. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Ill go 66RD as well. Looks MDS based on the flatness of O in one

9. Pickin and Grinin

My opinion, The N and def. the M. The C is missing the Marker. Thinking EMDS.

10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

That's a strike pressure artifact/failure to fill, though. Look at the skritchiness on the obverse shoulder opposite that point - to my mind those play a lesser role in grade than other marks, because they're pre-strike marks which weren't obliterated. One can find the O nearly missing, and strong effects on E PLUR in bad examples. A good but not excellent strike, especially for a 1909.

Now that I've picked my jaw up off the floor I'll contemplate a grade. There are (minor) gouges in the hair which don't show readily in this lighting, a few others in the reverse fields. Strike isn't terrific, and the color is a bit splotchy.

So I'll limit myself to 66 on this one. :)

Justin, this is one of those places where you want to obliterate the luster, in order to present a more accurate pixel-by-pixel representation of color everywhere, for the RD-RB decision. The "darker" areas likely give the false impression, and brightening them would wash out the already-Red areas. In a second set of images, of course, so we can enjoy these as well. :)

Seattlite86 and Evan8 like this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

12. Pickin and Grinin

I am thinking they gave it a plus or 67.

13. jtlee321

I will reveal the grade this afternoon. :)

14. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

MS-66 RB

TPG probably said MS-65 RB.

15. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I'm at 66RB but 66RD would not shock me especially if it's an older holder.

16. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Personally, I'm at 65+ with the obverse spotting. However, sometimes pictures bring that out versus in-hand. Looks to have nice luster, 66 wouldn't shock me from the TPG's.

17. jtlee321

No winner on this one.. Although, a lot of you posted what I thought, when it arrived in hand that this coin, is undergraded. It's in a PCGS MS65RD holder. I Sniped it at the last moment and was shocked that the final bid only went up a dollar. My winning bid was a measly $50.00, needless to say, I was doing the happy dance. Then I worried that maybe the seller would cancel the transaction. He originally had it listed as a Buy It Now for $119.00!!

I'd like to try and submit this to CAC and see if I could get the coveted Gold Bean on it. :)

1909-VDB-Lincoln-Cent-PCGS-MS-65-Slab-Front.jpg 1909-VDB-Lincoln-Cent-PCGS-MS-65-Slab-Back.jpg

18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

My initial reply was uncomplimentary to PCGS and furthermore unprintable.

It may be that we've lost some scratch detail on the cheek due to the color, or possible that PCGS was smoking crack. Or, trying to kick and in a vile mood as a result. Potentially a violation of the Geneva Convention.

19. jtlee321

Haha!! It may be the ever so slightest Woody effect that got into their britches. Regardless, I'm damn happy to have this added to my collection. I buy a lot and then resell it for a profit, but this one will be a permanent resident of my collection.

20. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I miss guessing on this one (Thank God) as I should have guessed 64 at best. Looks like a spot removal (discoloration) over the "V" on the reverse. In the old days any black carbon spots (this has a few) would have kicked it out of "gem."

IMO, save your money as this coin will not even get a green bean. Ram "crow" down my throat if it does! :D

21. Pickin and Grinin

I see the cheek, and the upper lapel. But when I look at the shoulder I see the die state.
    I wouldn't let go of it either.

Draft saved Draft deleted