GTG: 1908 S Indian Head Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Matthew Kruse, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I see a few comments that point to market grading of keys and semi-keys being different than for common coins in the same series. I'm glad it is now recognized that this happens and there is far less reactionary defense of the indefensible (they're all graded the same) as in the past.

I'd like the standards to be the same, but arguing that they are is ridiculous.

Bottom line is that it might not meet the VF35 standards of a common Indian, but still meet them for a key or semi-key.

ps I never got past counting diamonds and clarity of LIBERTY, so I will not venture into the actual grade for this coin.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    johnmilton likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I have commented about softer grading standards for key date coins. Then I had a professional grader reply that was true, that it is justified. I continue to disagree. You pay more because it’s a key date. You should not be doubled charged with an over grade.

There have been instances were the market value for a key date has fallen because of lower grading stands. It happened for 1916-D Mercury Dime in collector grades like VF.

5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

7. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

Over grading keys has been going on for a long time. A few years ago I saw a lot of 1877 Indian cents graded good to good 6 that were really barely AG 3. I saw some graded VG that were really only good. This type of grading damages the value of properly graded coins. A long time ago I read an article about a 1804 that was AU that ended up in a PCGS mint state holder. I don't know why it was even done. The people that can afford one of those should now what they're buying. Then there is market grading. Market grading seems to happen with some coins with minor problems like a light clean or wipe but, I've seen it done with some key dates that had a minor scratch. This is why in my earlier post I put extra fine for the 1908-S.

8. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I've said the same thing on these pages before. We get double-whammied between over-grading of keys and semi-keys and then hit with market grading on top of it.

I'm all for a fair price and am happy to pay more for a better-quality coin but I do resent how the game is rigged in this manner.

9. montynj3417

montynj3417 Active Member

Totally agree. This is a hell of a coin, and if you ever found anything approaching it; searching through rolls of pennies, you'd pinch yourself to see if it's a dream!

Draft saved Draft deleted