GTG 1908 2.5$ Indian

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by britannia40, Feb 7, 2016.

1. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

Here is a new piece i just got in hand. not sure what it will grade.

20160206_141553.jpg 20160206_141604.jpg 20160206_141705.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I'm sorry to break the bad news to you, but this coin is a counterfeit.

britannia40 and ikes4ever like this.
  4. ikes4ever

ikes4ever Senior Member

Nothing worst then bad news on Sunday morning. I am certainly no gold expert, but something doesn't look right.

5. britannia40

its good ive got money back guarantee. what makes it counterfeit please share.

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

These are tricky coins, and I know there are a lot of counterfeits. For the purposes of educating the members (to avoid these sorts of problems), could you give us the top three things that you notice that indicate it is fake?

britannia40 likes this.
  7. ToughCOINS

This is a very crude example compared to the many more sophisticated fakes out there, and I could send you a mile long list of telltale signs. Still, because the counterfeiters are learning too much about what to correct and refine their craft, I will give you only one indicator . . .

The numerals in the date are completely wrong . . . they should be recessed (incuse) with a raised center, and very well defined . . . find yourself a good image of a genuine coin and compare for yourself.

To others . . . please consider refraining from listing more that the counterfeiters can learn from.

- Mike

ikes4ever and medjoy like this.
  8. ToughCOINS

Sorry Physics, I think we were both posting at the same time, and I had not read your request for three indicators. Please PM me, and I'll give you more. I'm just tired of the community arming the bad guys with more information.

ikes4ever likes this.
  9. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Here's a proof one from Coinfacts. (Click for bigger photo)
    [​IMG]
    Here's a photo of a replica I got from online
    replica.jpg
    Here's a photo of the OP's coin.
    coins.jpg

medjoy and ikes4ever like this.
  10. ThinnPikkins

ThinnPikkins Well-Known Member

Screenshot_2016-02-07-09-59-09.png Screenshot_2016-02-07-09-59-28.png Screenshot_2016-02-07-09-59-50.png Screenshot_2016-02-07-10-00-05.png Screenshot_2016-02-07-10-00-15.png
    Does it exhibit any of these flaws? I can not tell from the pictures. The only thing I see is irregular reeding on the right side of the picture, but then again, i dont know if that is a hit mark or not. Also check for striations between the reeding from the coin being ejected from the machine. I am no pro by far on 2.5 dollars, but I just recently started buying them and I am trying to arm myself with enough knowledge to put up a good fight when it comes to counterfeits.

11. britannia40

the round hit marks on my obverse match the replic ones. above the 9 ( 2 exact hits) one under the L

12. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Great replies, I learned a lot.

14. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

100% fake, sorry

15. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Here's another hint. 1908 did not have hardly any details on the eagle's shoulder/wing. This was not added until 1909. Even as mushy as your fake is, it has more details in those areas than a genuine MS one has. Even if they had got that part right, it is still a really bad fake.

16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

sorry for that bad news. I want 1 of these in the far future. I am gonna get 1 slabbed PCGS or NGC. I will not take chances on a raw 1.

17. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

The color is wrong.
    The eagle is too well stuck for this date.
    The rim is no good.
    Should I continue? the list is too long.

Draft saved Draft deleted