GTG - 1908 $2.5 Indian

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jester3681, Nov 26, 2015.

1. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I picked this up from Mike at Tough Coins and it has been at PCGS for a little while - I expect the grade to come back in a week or two. Any thoughts? I loved the toning on this one and just couldn't resist. My only gold, but now I'm looking at other quarter eagle and G$1.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

Gosh, I say AU 55. The eagle has some weakness at the front feathers. But, it could be the quality of strike. I also learned from another CT member that this series was heavily counterfeited, so I would only buy high grade examples in slabs since I am not an expert at detecting counterfeits.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Pretty coin. I'll guess 64.

5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

These are tough for me to grade especially from images. I'm gonna say ms 63. I like the color of this one

6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

That's certainly not a bad plan, short of the always should-be considered option of purchasing only from a knowledgeable stand-up dealer, and one more would be wise to follow. With that said though, this particular example is, without the slightest doubt in my mind, legit. For technical grading purposes however, the photos are, IMO, less than ideal, but the coin is gorgeous nonetheless.

7. jester3681

I consider Mike to be a stand-up dealer. I have some higher resolution pictures for grade guessers:

1908_250_indian_o.jpg 1908_250_indian_r.jpg

green18 and rev1774 like this.
  8. jester3681

So long as it grades clean in the MS range, I'm happy. We shall see!

9. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

Assuming it gets a numeric grade, don't see any reason why it won't. I'd say ms-62.....not sure why, but I see quite a few grade 62, almost as though that is a default grade for Indians above AU-58, but that don't quite have the boom of a 63. Maybe I'm reading too much into things though.
    MS-62

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Great image.

11. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I'll guess MS62. Regardless of what it grades, it's a remarkable coin.

12. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

AU-58. The incuse design on this makes the fields stick up higher then the design. That's why the 2.5 and 5$ Indians are so expensive in 64+ grades,

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I hope it comes back MS for you. That is a sharp looker. I would have no problems buying an unslabbed coin from Mike.

medjoy and jester3681 like this.
  14. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

This is a well struck coin for an 1908 2.5 Ind. Most of the 08s show very little detail on the eagle's wing.

15. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

On the second set of images I'm gonna downgrade mine to 62. There's a few more contact marks than I saw in the first set

jester3681 likes this.
  17. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

18. jester3681

Lord I hope so! [emoji2]

19. adamscoins

adamscoins New Member

Sweet coin and toning! Purely guessing but I say ms63 maybe little lower can't tell if few dings around edge? Side note sweet pics how do you take such good pics to show detail? Guessing not just with phone like I have lol. I have 1925 d with awesome luster and been considering sending in but would like get opinions with better pics than I have taken before . Thanks and look forward to hearing grade! Are you going build set ? I have the 25 and weak d 1911 so considering set myself slowly

jester3681 likes this.
  20. jester3681

I have to defer to Mike for photography lessons. I learned early on in my collecting that it pays to buy from sellers who take amazing photos. ;)

I'd like to get some other gold for sure, the usual suspects - commems, 1907 $20, etc. Done for this year with the big stuff though.

adamscoins likes this.
  21. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

What I would love to get are some decent looking colonial coins like the one on your avatar, or the Massachusetts cent which is my favorite.

jester3681 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted