GTG 1901 o Morgan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mrweaseluv, Mar 27, 2022.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

D70E2027-C954-4B6A-B0ED-EADF895477B2.jpeg D70E2027-C954-4B6A-B0ED-EADF895477B2.jpeg
    My point, exactly. As I said in my analysis, PL was definitely possible. 63 is dreamland, as the cheek hits are far too focal, so I still say 61 would have worked, 62 tops.

Accurate real world corrected exposure for the coin. Die polish striations evident in the obverse fields, supporting the cameo. However, those cheek hits are brutal, and very obvious.

mrweaseluv and chascat like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Oh I realize 63 is a hair high for this one, but I've been looking at a LOT of 01s and 03s recently, tougher coins to get in MS grades... Add in the PL and I was quite happy with this one for the price :D and the PL fields let me look past the cheek dings :D Oh and yes as you can see by the very lightened pic of the slab the seller tried to minimize the hits... I did darken the blowups I made before buying it so was aware of the hits.. not as dark as morganguy did but enough to see :D

4. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I wish I could view all my questionable coins in this light.

5. mrweaseluv

I usualy can look at all my coins in this light... I admit I have overpaid for coins many times, but that is because I LIKE the coin in question... If I don't like It I won't buy it no matter how good the price or grade (ok under-melt on gold and silver the exception here but you get what i mean) :D

chascat, Morgandude11 and ddddd like this.
  6. Morgandude11

Oh, it is a beautiful coin. I am not dissing on the coin at all. To me, any richly cameo PL coin is a winner, and your coin definitely has that solidly. I just think the basic grade was high, given the cheek hits. Any PL coin will automatically look worse than a normal MS Morgan, due to the die polish lines. It is an attractive coin—just I would have graded lower, given the cheek marks. That doesn’t make it less desirable.

mrweaseluv likes this.
  7. mrweaseluv

No not in PL for the 94, but I would really like to find a nice ms60+ under 200 lol so far only 2 coins in the morgan date set under MS60.. My 1890 Vam 15a (an r6 vam) is only AU55 (and the 1st coin I ever had slabbed also considering getting another MS one for the date set) The other is my 95o in VG-details, I doubt I'll ever see an affordable upgrade for that one in MS lol... (and I believe she's closer to VF then VG lol)
    4136861_Full_Obv.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
    Morgandude11 likes this.
  8. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Late to the post. All your Morgan’s are nice. Good luck at the show hope you find that allusive ‘94 and more. Be safe.

9. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Hey...I nailed it...63PL...! All I knew is, after 60 years of seeing the grading progressions/changes, plus between TPGs, and seeing so many other 63s in comparable or worse shape, this was most likely no less than a 63 and PL.

mrweaseluv likes this.
  10. Morgandude11

Wrong! The cheek is much worse than the average Morgan 63. Having had thousands of them, over the same 60 years, I call foul. The marks on the cheek are severe, focal, and significant. The bagmarks look like slashes, and there is the appearance of wheel mark-like marks on the cheek. As I said 3 times, it is a very attractive PL coin, but with MAJOR distractions on the cheek. It is actually lucky that it wasn’t a details coin, for the possible wheel marks. So, how can a coin with significant focal distractions be a 63? Does not compute.

11. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Belated with this reply...sorry...don't often get to these in good time. So, "as I (you) said..." (and I indeed read it)...but as I also said (if you read it)...and again now in answer to your last question, here..."I've seen more/worse on other 63s..." and many of them, it's that simple. You need to let up and take a break, my friend...maybe all this is getting the best of you. As "there's no crying in baseball"...there no "Wrong!" or right in TPGrading...only subjective analysis which can be/is all over the place from coin to coin, day to day, TPG to TPG, etc. We have a difference of opinion, and that's all that TPG is...opinion. Happy Holy Week and Easter...!

chascat and mrweaseluv like this.
  12. Morgandude11

Happy Easter back at ya. I am just attempting to share some expertise regarding grading. Sorry if my response annoyed you in any way. However,a lot of Morgan Collectors tend to emotionally grade their own coins, which is understandable. However, we need to be objective about grading. Over grading,or not heeding other collectors’ reactions to coins, when they are very experienced in a series helps nobody. We all need to learn to be objective, myself included. Sorry if my response offended you—I was attempting to be objective about the coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted