GTG 1901 Morgan

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by murty, May 2, 2016.

1. murty

murty Junior Member

Took photo's while still in 2x2. 642e444c-f7c6-4b85-8991-043f790310fe (1).JPG ccb4c4fe-61db-47fc-ab8c-f558e39de166 (2).JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

From what I can tell from the photo's. I'd say MS63.

4. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

It looks like a roughed up XF 45

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am far from a Morgan expert, but my guess is counterfeit. It looks too much like casting bubbles to me.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Surface and images way too rough.

7. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

Hard to tell surfaces look very rough, if it is like this in hand I would agree with
    But if not MS 61.

8. John King

John King Member

Could just be a really bad photo. It looks awful as it is presented.

9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Not going to opine on authenticity, but something or somebody has given that coin a rough time.

10. murty

murty Junior Member

My photo skills are not good....some better pictures DSC_0016 (2).JPG DSC_0019 (3).JPG

11. John King

John King Member

Looks much better now. Seems like a nice coin to my eye. MS64 or better?

12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

EF45-ish, even factoring the New Orleans strike, because some of the details normally lost in a weak strike (cotton bolls, talons, large lower leaves) are still there. That means it was a pretty well-struck coin to begin with and you have to lean more towards wear as an explanation of lost detail.

More importantly, this coin is being destroyed by its' container. I see active PVC plasticizer infection - look for the green at the rim - as well as leached rust from the staple at the top of the obverse. I wouldn't be surprised if the PVC has already permanently damaged it.

Daniel Jones likes this.
  13. Daniel Jones

Much better photos. I still say XF 40-45, but not as roughed up looking. Ha, ha!

14. murty

murty Junior Member

Different photo out of holder....gold coloring....used acetone to get rid of the green at the rim 1901oobverse.JPG 1901oreverse.JPG

15. Daniel Jones

Ooh, your coin is looking better each time. Ha, ha! Now it actually looks like an AU 50+

Draft saved Draft deleted