GTG: 1901 Indian Head Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Aug 29, 2016.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Just got this one in the mail today. GTG 1901 Indian Head Cent with nice subtle toning.
    1901-Indian-Head-Cent-Obverse.jpg 1901-Indian-Head-Cent-Reverse.jpg

green18, ddddd, TJ1952 and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Au slider nice coin

5. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Nice one Justin. I have a 1863 I've thought about sending in.
    Going with 58 also

6. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

58 also - Nice photography! Is that still some Longacre's Doubling on the "ONE" ?

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

8. jtlee321

Thanks Dave. I'm sitting on an 1899 that I need to send in as well. It's the one to the far left in my signature line.

Thanks Mark. Yes, that's Longacre's Doubling. The big tell is that is surrounds the device. It's caused by the punch used to add the device.

9. jtlee321

Well, so far none of you are correct. It is in a major TPG holder, with a tip of the hat to @Cascade, I've been on a buying streak lately.. :)

10. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I'll go 63 BN

11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Hotel soap?

12. jtlee321

Hehe... yup.. I have another coming later this week. :)

Cascade likes this.
  13. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Have an 1899 but not good enough to grade. Also have a 1909 I'm considering.
    I don't see it there anymore, did you take it off?

14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

61. RB (mind you I'm somewhat color blind)

15. jtlee321

It's this one.

1899-Raw-Coin-Fancy-Black-Background.jpg

spirityoda, Santinidollar and Smojo like this.
  16. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

17. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Yes, your look's good. Mines to worn to consider grading. It's clean just worn.

18. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

19. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

My grade would be 58, but tpg probably said 62/63. Very nice coin you have in the photo. Now the photos of that 99 I am not so sure about - for some reason it just screams to me "something was done to me". But what do I know.

20. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The beauty of accurate, high-res imagery - for those who have had experience of their own shooting that way - is the small hints which appear which enable the observer to be even less sure about a slider than others with less experience. :)

On this coin, the relevant hints are as follows: Obverse - highest point of the diamonds, lowest diamond and the high point of the hair to its' immediate right, brow right above the eye, hair right above the ear, LIBERTY letters. Reverse: Center wrap of the ribbon on the wreath at bottom center, top wreath leaves left and right.

Those are all places where one would expect wear to manifest very early in the coin's circulating life, which however do not show the "dulling" we can easily see on the top feathers and shield that are clearly indicative of "circulation wear." It's difficult for me to imagine enough circulation to show obvious wear in those latter two places, while the "hint" places show the same sorta-reflective response to the lighting as the areas which clearly aren't worn.

It's enough evidence to offer me clear doubt that the coin has circulated, especially when two of the highest points of the design (according to Halperin's "How to Grade US Coins") appear on the "hint" list - the hair above the ear and center wrap of the ribbon. Further, this is one of those issues where strike weakness does not manifest at the highest points of the design, and the two places on an IHC which show strike weakness first happen to be the same two places where we see "wear" on this coin - feather tips and shield. Conversely, one would intuitively expect wear to show very quickly on the coin's physically-highest spots.

It's problematic to attempt a sure grade based on only a pair of images, but when the camera is in the hands of an expert it becomes a better bet. Me, I'm seeing an MS63/64 IHC here, although if the TPG wimped out - or saw something I don't in these images, which is a clear possibility - it might say AU55 on the slab. I would be thinking MS money if I were choosing to bid on this coin, based on these images.

mark_h, jtlee321 and medjoy like this.
  21. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted